Home Testing Forum
Options

BS

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2020 3:51PM in Testing Forum

So I was fortunate to accidentally stumble over this on a website not known for handling Hard Times Tokens and knew right away it was a rare gilt variety and not brass.

Well I'm really happy to have finally found a Gilt Copper variety which completes my "I Take The Responsibility" set.

1833 "I Take the Responsibility" Low-171 / Rulau HT-70A, Rarity-3, Gilt Copper, 29mm Diameter, Plain Edge.

The rarity rating assigned is very underrated as this is a far tougher to locate variety then the Rarity-2 Brass Low-52 / HT-71 and in gilt was missing in many major collections ever formed. Even the finest survivors are missing some gilt on the high points which is also common with other token varieties which have also been silvered 180 years ago. Although Joe Levine has had a low grade AU or two over the years with some gilt remaining this has been the first example on the market which better matches my set since 2008. As even most all examples offered on eBay over the years described as Gilt upon closer inspection has been the Brass variety. I'm now heavily researching to try to plate match it to a previous sale to establish provenance.

On the 1833 "I Take the Responsibility" the Low-171 / HT-70A (Gilt Copper) and Low-52 / HT-71 (Brass) had been struck before all the regular copper issues. On the copper issues the strong box details run from early to late die stages.

Recent research has shown that token HT-70 is probably the first cent-sized political type token which achieved wide circulation and it opened the door for a flood of others. The die was cut by Edward Hulseman in the fall of 1833 and the tokens struck by his button maker employer Robinson Jones & Company in Attleboro, Massachusetts. The tokens of this and later types (HT 69, 71 and 72) refer to Jackson who is shown with sword and purse. The adoption of the sword and purse continued for some time after the Whigs had taken the reins of government. The Albany Argus daily city gazette for October 1, 1842 published "The liberties of the country were alarmingly threatened under Mr. Van Buren's administration by a union of the purse with the sword in the same hands."

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2020 8:20AM

FSH: Gorgeous Extremely Lustrous PQ "AU64" 1937-D "3-Leg" Buffalo 5C AU58 CAC

Unless you are admiring a Superb Gem of this popular variety the words "Lustrous" and "3-Leg" are not often seen within the description. As even at CH MS although technical grading as UNC they tend to have drab, dull, and boring surface conditions. As a mint error collector I often encounter this variety within dealer cases and the lil kid in me who used to always hope to find one raw in the wild examines each and every slabbed one. In all years on this forum this is only the second CH AU example I've ever offered as all others I seen since never made my wallet wiggle. This is a premium quality example which looks UNC when admired in hand with lively surfaces. You could very easily spend way more on a entombed CH MS ending up with a lesser example eye appeal wise. Housed in a older NGC holder example which has also been CAC'd for you pleasure being Offered @ $2,150.00 Fully Shipped.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!