Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry Bug...or not, it seems. Who would want this "feature" changed?

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2020 12:48PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

When a set shows as being "UPDATED" but then you click on the set and it does not indicate which coin was updated.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/mercury-dimes-specialty-sets/mercury-dimes-fb-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1916-1945/2156

Larry Martin's Set shows it has been updated. Click on it, change it to show all the coins (250), and nothing is visibly updated.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    edited September 9, 2020 12:47PM

A forum member was kind enough to send me a message:

"When a bonus of a coin changes, like a top pop becomes no longer a top pop or no longer a pop 1 then all sets that lose/gain that bonus get marked as "updated" even though the owner of the set didn't do anything."

Kinda odd to me but I can understand that. I would have thought that the "UPDATE" would only be triggered by the set builder when changing a coin.

Would anyone want to see this changed?

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 2:42PM

@keyman64,

No, this is a good feature that needs to stay as is, because any change in the set ratings matters. It is good for all the other registry owners to know something in the set composition/weighting/ bonus points has changed as soon as it happens.

Thanks

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    No, this is a good feature that needs to stay as is because any change in the set ratings matters and it is good for all the other registry owners to know something in the set composition/weighting/ bonus points has changed.

Thanks

I can appreciate that BUT if the set has 100+ or 250+ coins, you just go into the set and have no clue what happened. If the row of data flashed in a certain color and had an arrow or symbol next to it to indicate what the heck happened then that's cool. The way it is now is not so cool. I think the current system needs to change or be adjusted. You should not have to keep a paper print out of everyone's sets so that you can compare the before and after. Is this seriously what you do? How many sets do you kill trees for and print everything out, not just your sets but those that you are competing against? That's a bit much.

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Part of the confusion with this situation is that the "wording" is so similar. UPDATED and UPGRADED.
    Perhaps when a set changes ranking because of a Pop change, (no more bonus points or one less bonus
    point), the term REVISED should be used, and that word REVISED placed next to the coin slot that was REVISED.
    It would then be easy to find out why that particular slot was REVISED by checking the updated Pop Report.
    Keep it simple stupid.
    Danny

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I just added a coin. Says updated, but doesn't show what coin I added.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2020 8:51AM

@keyman64 said:

@Goldminers said:
    No, this is a good feature that needs to stay as is because any change in the set ratings matters and it is good for all the other registry owners to know something in the set composition/weighting/ bonus points has changed.

Thanks

I can appreciate that BUT if the set has 100+ or 250+ coins, you just go into the set and have no clue what happened. If the row of data flashed in a certain color and had an arrow or symbol next to it to indicate what the heck happened then that's cool. The way it is now is not so cool. I think the current system needs to change or be adjusted. You should not have to keep a paper print out of everyone's sets so that you can compare the before and after. Is this seriously what you do? How many sets do you kill trees for and print everything out, not just your sets but those that you are competing against? That's a bit much.

I have sets with over 500 coins and I sure don't worry about other people's set details, other than to just look and see what they have in them for reference. I guess everyone uses the registry differently depending on their goals, but I have never wasted a tree on any sets other than my own to keep a backup.

I do see your point and maybe a modification on what additional status changed would be valuable to some. It already does this if someone adds a "new" coin. Should be relatively easy to do the same for what was "revised or updated" as well.

If you look at this set you can see that a "New" does show up on what changed when it shows "Updated" on the big list
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/commemoratives/commemoratives-specialty-sets/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-fame-60th-anniversary-complete-set-circulation-strikes-proof-2020/7723

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/228307

Keep in mind, these updates disappear after several days, so it is possible you have to look more often to see the notifications? Also, you see different things on your private page than you can see in the public page.

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's a phone thing. I'll look on my laptop as sometime

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 1:31AM

I've often thought it would be great to know what was changed when the Composite changes...that would give us a clue as to why UPDATED appears

It does seem odd that with most UPDATED sets that My rank always seems to move up a spot or two...with no explanation why that happened other than the Set Changes notification that the Composite was changed

What has changed?

Being new to the Set Registry...I can only assume that this occurs just prior to the Annual Awards announcement - which currently is more than a month late

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

jonjet stated :
    Being new to the Set Registry...I can only assume that this occurs just prior to the Annual Awards announcement - which currently is more than a month late,

No, it happens through the year.

• Options

I agree with Danny, " REVISED " would be a nicer term to distinguish a change in bonus points. It definitely would need placed beside the coin involved.

• Options

jonjet,
    Your sets can go up OR down on an update to another's set. Sets retired, adding a coin, removing a coin or coins, etc. Just this past week I had one set move up from 5th to 4th, two days later I dropped to 6th. Now I'm back to 5th. I hadn't made any changes to my set. I know who changed theirs, just don't know what coins he deleted, then replaced with upgrades. although it would be nice to know. No names because he's posted on this thread, I've dealt with him before, ( super nice guy ) and glad to see him moving closer to # 1.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2020 6:13AM

@Tom147 and others,

Are you looking at the public page where this shows up? See below. It is easy to see what was updated in this set summary and which coins: First you see the set summary. Go down to #17 and it says updated. Then click on the set and it shows what was updated. Then click on the set rating for all the details.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/silver-gold-platinum-eagles/silver-gold-platinum-eagles-major-sets/silver-eagles-circulation-strikes-1986-present/162

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/silver-gold-platinum-eagles/silver-gold-platinum-eagles-major-sets/silver-eagles-circulation-strikes-1986-present/publishedset/141148

You can also click on Cliff63 his set rating to the right of his name in blue that says 70.25. It shows this below and every single change made, including when another set is added or changes things.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/silver-gold-platinum-eagles/silver-gold-platinum-eagles-major-sets/silver-eagles-circulation-strikes-1986-present/setrevisions/141148

Does this help? There is a lot of info on sets in these spots.

• Options

@JonJet said:
    I've often thought it would be great to know what was changed when the Composite changes...that would give us a clue as to why UPDATED appears

It does seem odd that with most UPDATED sets that My rank always seems to move up a spot or two...with no explanation why that happened other than the Set Changes notification that the Composite was changed

What has changed?

Being new to the Set Registry...I can only assume that this occurs just prior to the Annual Awards announcement - which currently is more than a month late

Click on the set rating in blue to the right near the user name for revision details of all other set changes, composite changes, exact time and date, items added or removed, etc. It should help get you the info you are looking for.