Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quick trivia - Name or show a baseball card that pictures a broken bat

Today's trivia question - name or show a baseball card with a broken bat. Research on the Internet is not allowed. If that rule is broken you will be disqualified.

Ok... Since I can't enforce this rule, have at it anyway you want to.

The winner receives the honor of winning this trivia question. Nothing else!

Shane

Comments

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson used to break his bat over his helmet or leg. I think there was a card (or two) picturing that.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Breaker card from 91 score. I have had that set since my b-day in 1991.

• Options

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2020 2:51PM

Are we sure Duane wasn’t the bat boy just shagging a broken bat??

From Bo to Duane. I don’t know what to say.. :)

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the idea from going through some Mark McGwire cards and seeing a 1992 Upper Deck card of his. He was swinging and he had just hit the ball and the bat is clearly broken. I thought it was neat and did a little research and come to find out there are several cards that show broken bats.

Shane

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Funny...this was actually a site I put together back in the days, and was one of the oddball cards I collected...
    brokenbatbaseballcards.blogspot.com/

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevebay said:
    Funny...this was actually a site I put together back in the days, and was one of the oddball cards I collected...
    brokenbatbaseballcards.blogspot.com/

Very cool. Really like the Alomar.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really fun list of cards on that post. It isn't very uncommon to see images reused in multiple sets issued by the same manufacturer. However, in this case, it was surprising to see the same image used on 1992 Score and then 1993 Upper Deck John Vander Wal.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the 1992 and 1993 John Vander Wal cards I was thinking the same thing. But when you look closely it looks as though one picture was taken an instant later. If you look at the end of the bat on one of them it is further away from the bottom of the "M" than the other.

Shane

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    On the 1992 and 1993 John Vander Wal cards I was thinking the same thing. But when you look closely it looks as though one picture was taken an instant later. If you look at the end of the bat on one of them it is further away from the bottom of the "M" than the other.

I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me now, but it looks like the UD card has his left arm raised an almost imperceptible amount higher than what is on the Score card.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@frankhardy said:

I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me now, but it looks like the UD card has his left arm raised an almost imperceptible amount higher than what is on the Score card.

Looks like the white thing in the background is also in a different location - to the left of his left arm vs. to the right of his left arm, so it may be that the photographers were close to each other but far enough away to have a slightly different angle? The fan’s head near the left shoulder in one pic is at the very edge of the card in the second pic.

Jim