Home Sports Talk
Options

Lou Brock R.I.P.

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my all time favorite Cardinal players.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the all time greats. A legend.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Career .391 BA in the Post season. Absolutely amazing.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always seemed like a class act.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Always seemed like a class act.

I agree. As a kid, I met him on several occasions and he was very nice to me and made me feel special, and I was just a dumb kid.

Bring an avid baseball fan in the 60s and 70s, I can say that he really changed a game.
    When he would get on base, many pitchers would crumble.
    I know that his numbers are not deemed worthy by many--yeah, he struck out a lot, and yeah, he had some adventures in the outfield, and his WAR isn't as good as many, but he was an extremely exciting player to watch.
    And until late in his career he had surprising power. I think if he chose to he could have been a perennial 25-30+ HR a year guy.

I saw probably 40-50 games during his 1974 run at Maury Wills' record.
    When he started pushing 100 the place was electric.
    Just pure adrenaline. It was as if the fans/me were on base with him. Good times--somewhere I have all the scorecards from the games I attended....scored carefully, of course, lol

For Cardinal fans, the 70s weren't great but he made us forget that sometimes.
    More attention was paid to first base by fans than to the Cardinal batter when Mr. Brock was stationed there.

I have an autographed Baseball he signed for me in 1977.
    And his farewell program.
    And if course the obligatory cards.

He will be sorely missed.

Thank you Mr. Brock for all the memories and excitement and for treating a stupid kid with dignity and kindness.
    RIP to a true gentleman.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Lou once around 1979 or 1980 at a Sears store in Pontiac, MI. He was there promoting the Brockabrella personal umbrellas. He was super nice to me and I got an autograph from him (but not a Brockabrella, haha). Lots of history with folks in the area thanks to the '68 World Series.