Home Q & A Forum

1988P Dime Double Earlobe?

While searching dime rolls I found this 1988P with what looks to be a doubled earlobe, there's no other doubling on the coin. Has anyone seen this before? I think if it was machine doubling it would show on more of the devices.

Tagged:

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look like typical machine doubling and does kinda look like it could be a doubled die.
    I would not rule out die erosion, there is a lot of metal flow showing on the coin.
    If it was a doubled die an earlier die stage might be needed to confirm.

• Thanks for your comment, can you explain "metal flow"? I'm not familiar with that term. Thanks.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice all the lines in the fields that are flowing out to the rim.
    You can also see distortion on the lettering & date.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Grampyhanson
    There are radial flow lines below the ear. This can be seen in many coins struck by worn dies. As a coin is struck, the metal "flows" into the design elements of the die. After thousands and tend of thousands of strikes, the metal in the planchets will slowly erode the hardened die. The erosion can then appear as radial flow lines on a struck coin. It can also make areas appear to be doubled but it isn't true hub doubling.

Wexler has a good explanation of non value added double on his site

Www.doubleddie.com

Click on the tab labeled "Worthless Doubling"white

Hope this helps

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Thanks for the info guys.

• After reading Wexlers articles on doubled dies and worthless doubling, I agree that its probably from a worn die. Thanks for the education, I'll know what to look for in the future.

• MS67MS67 Posts: 35 ✭✭

Excellent explanation. Looks like I got some reading to do on Wexlers double die articles. I know the 83-D, 84 and 88 Lincolns have DDO with doubling on the ear.