Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Celebrity collectors

Which celebrities (Hollywood, athletes, media personalities) are knowN to be sports card collectors? I know about Dmitri Young (did he keep some of his collection?) and Bob Costas with the Mantle in his wallet. Have to think there are some players out there buying some of this stuff. I would think someone like Bill Simmons would be buying every Celtics and Patriots card he could get. I’m just trying to figure who (besides Chinese Businessmen) is buying all of these cards that are 10s of thousand of dollars and helping to drive these price explosions.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

not sure if these qualify but have sold cards/wax to:

rob schneider - mays collector
    john lithgow - mantle collector
    hal steinbrenner - sealed wax
    gary vee - soto/torres/hulk hogan & flair
    giannis - himself (is known to keep cards he's supposed to sign for panini too)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil Hughes
    Charlie Sheen
    Pat Neshek

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a few cards to Josh Donaldson. Football RCs ironically.

Mike
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is definitely at least one member on this CU board who has been a very active collector as well as a professional athlete. Most who have been here a while know who he is. I'm not certain that it's my place to name him though?

• Options

GARY CARTER WAS A CARD COLLECTOR
    TOM CANDIOTTI

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Keith Olbermann collects baseball cards.

I seem to recall hearing stories about Penny Marshall collecting memorabilia, but I coudl be making that up too.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erba said:

I seem to recall hearing stories about Penny Marshall collecting memorabilia, but I coudl be making that up too.

Besides being a collector, I've read that Olbermann was also one of the main photographers for the SSPC sets on the late 70s, and this is supposedly his leg and arm in the background of this 1981 Topps Ken Landreaux.

• Options

@ndleo said:

i was wondering if that was actually him. is that confirmed?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

i think nicholas cage had a large comic book collection and some comics even has his name on the holder stating its from his collection.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2020 4:04PM

Dmitri Young had a few cards around the house

Ken Kendrick has also been known to a dabble in cards

a few others ...

Bryan Cranston - cards
    Billy Crystal - Yankees memorabilia
    Alan Thicke - hockey before he passed

And Marcel Dionne, NHL hall of famer, owns a card shop. Or at least he used to.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@miwlvrn said:
    There is definitely at least one member on this CU board who has been a very active collector as well as a professional athlete. Most who have been here a while know who he is. I'm not certain that it's my place to name him though?

probably best you trimmed his name outta the post anyways!

Ohhhh this sounds juicy! I wanna know!

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@erba said:

Besides being a collector, I've read that Olbermann was also one of the main photographers for the SSPC sets on the late 70s, and this is supposedly his leg and arm in the background of this 1981 Topps Ken Landreaux.

I heard he was a photographer for the 81 Donruss set. Looking at the 1981 Donruss Landreaux card, it’s certainly possible it was taken right after the Topps one.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

didnt emmitt smith own a card shop in the 90s?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I believe Greg Gagne collects

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Evan Mathis.

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I remember watching Jaleel White (Steve Urkel from Family Matters) on the Arsenio Hall show in the early 90s and he talked about how he collected basketball cards and pulled a Jordan rookie out of his pocket (it was in a screwdown).

• Options

I worked in a card shop in the Los Angeles area in the 1990's while I was in college and the following people came in our store.

James Earl Jones - not long after Field of Dreams came out
    John Larroquette
    Patrick Duffy
    Fred Savage
    Michael Jackson (only once and his credit card receipt was framed on the wall of the store I worked at for years)
    Burton Cummings
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Gabe Kapler (as a kid because he went to the high school down the street)

• Options

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:

@blurryface said:

@miwlvrn said:

probably best you trimmed his name outta the post anyways!

Ohhhh this sounds juicy! I wanna know!

if you sliced a few letters off the edges of his name he would then be " van math ".

• Options
    SammyCSammyC Posts: 112 ✭✭

I think Mike Trout, he probably just bought his own superefactor

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I sold a card to Brad Lidge

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I remember selling something to Bump Wills years back. I don't recall what it was, but it was sports memorabilia related.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I sold a Roberto Clemente card to one of his sons when eBay was new. I can't remember what card it was though...

I always heard Andre Dawson collected his 1993 Finest Refractors.

Thanks
    Craig

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I've sold cards to Ron Guidry and Lee Mazzilli.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Cool thread. I’m just a small time seller, and was thrilled to find out I was selling a white whale Triple Threads Shin soo Choo to him/his wife last year.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@rbsalezman said:
    I worked in a card shop in the Los Angeles area in the 1990's while I was in college and the following people came in our store.

James Earl Jones - not long after Field of Dreams came out
    John Larroquette
    Patrick Duffy
    Fred Savage
    Michael Jackson (only once and his credit card receipt was framed on the wall of the store I worked at for years)
    Burton Cummings
    Jerry Seinfeld
    Gabe Kapler (as a kid because he went to the high school down the street)

Ok what did Jacko buy?

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Celebrity Chef Graham Elliott is a major collector; he’s posted a video in the past displaying his (Amazing) Collection!

• Options

definitely didn't think this was worthy of it it's own thread, so throwing it in here. but it is things like this that are contributing to chaos that is cardboard these days:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/28/rob-kardashian-tom-brady-panini-nebula-card-football/

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    definitely didn't think this was worthy of it it's own thread, so throwing it in here. but it is things like this that are contributing to chaos that is cardboard these days:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/28/rob-kardashian-tom-brady-panini-nebula-card-football/

haha "But, since this card was pulled right from the box and immediately put into a case, it's expected to get a perfect 10 grade -- which is HUGE for collectors."

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@Kepper19 said:

@blurryface said:

haha "But, since this card was pulled right from the box and immediately put into a case, it's expected to get a perfect 10 grade -- which is HUGE for collectors."

If only it was that simple...

Jason

• Options

@ndleo said:

posted on his ig. getting into the modern basketball game too. was pretty positive i sold him a card a while back!

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 6:49AM

in 2019, I caught Donaldson getting out of his Uber and was walking into the stadium. I found myself one on one with him and I asked him for an autograph. I couldn't have asked any nicer and more polite as I always remain respectful when asking and he stops dead in his tracks and says "are you kidding me! Your incredible. Give me the card" he says in a VERY angry and loud voice and I hand it to him and as I'm taking the sharpie top off, he raises his voice again and says "c'mon, hurry up". He signed it in disgust, handed it back and continues walking towards the stadium. I remember people who were nearby were looking over with an expression of 'what just happened over there'. He caused a scene and was certainly not as nice/cool/approachable as he is when a camera is around and being interviewed. Worst experience I ever had with any professional athlete. Ironic I thought because he was a card collector and also a fan of collecting and even boasts on a YouTube video of asking Derek Jeter to sign a jersey for him. Oh, and he drew some scribble circles on my card. Failed PSA/DNA.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    in 2019, I caught Donaldson getting out of his Uber and was walking into the stadium. I found myself one on one with him and I asked him for an autograph. I couldn't have asked any nicer and more polite as I always remain respectful when asking and he stops dead in his tracks and says "are you kidding me! Your incredible. Give me the card" he says in a VERY angry and loud voice and I hand it to him and as I'm taking the sharpie top off, he raises his voice again and says "c'mon, hurry up". He signed it in disgust, handed it back and continues walking towards the stadium. I remember people who were nearby were looking over with an expression of 'what just happened over there'. He caused a scene and was certainly not as nice/cool/approachable as he is when a camera is around and being interviewed. Worst experience I ever had with any professional athlete. Ironic I thought because he was a card collector and also a fan of collecting and even boasts on a YouTube video of asking Derek Jeter to sign a jersey for him. Oh, and he drew some scribble circles on my card. Failed PSA/DNA.

That really ticks me off when I hear stories like that. If you were a jerk, that's one thing. If he is in a big hurry, he should just politely say, "I'm sorry, but I've got to go." I know human beings have emotion and people can have a bad day, but that was uncalled for.

Shane

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 9:14AM

This isn't about celebrity collectors but I was at the celebrity golf tournament in Tahoe and I was at the far corner of the course where literally there wasn't a person in sight and I approached Steve Spurrier to sign his 49er card. He refused to sign it. All the others over the course of two days were super cool about everything and it seemed as though every one was having a good time. It may have been another year but there was a group of people that chanted, "Let's go Florida!" and Steve turned around and waved and just as he was doing do, the group added, "State!". Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I always rooted for Nebraska but I didn't mention anything about 62-24 to Steve. :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Spent 13 years as the Chief Engineer for Vail Resorts. Lot of it in Beaver Creek where I had the pleasure and ignominy of meeting and interacting with many many Famous Stars and Sports Figures. here are some of the High/Low lights!

(Keep in mind I'm not a Autograph person so never asked any of them for one)

Bill Cohwer; Sat down at the Apris Ski bar at the Hyatt not realizing who I was next to, until I heard him ask for another Beer. Ended up spending about 2 hours drinking Beers and BS'ing with him about the Steelers (My Son is a DieHard Fan, don't know where I went wrong?! :( ) Talked about the Raiders (My Team), and how much he Loved them, except to play against. Absolutely one of the Best meetings ever!

Joe Montana. Was working in a Art Gallery in Beaver Creek above the ceiling. Saw him enter with his wife and hopped off ladder and said something like Good Morning Mr. Montana, how are you, loved watching you play Football, one of my Favorite QB's, and before I could even turn away he came back with "FudsK Off, leave us alone." What a Fucjing A$$Wipe!

Jeff Foxworthy: Went to the Hyatt Cafeteria for Lunch with a Salesman buddy of mine and he was in line at the Register. After he paid for him and his family, my buddy nudged me and said watch this! He politely said Excuse me Mr. Foxworthy, but we told them at the Front Gate to not let any Rednecks up here! Foxworthy drew back and in his best Redneck way said " War'll it didn't work!!! and busted up laughing. He invited us to have lunch with him and his family, and we did! Awesome!

Was at the Pre-Show rehearsal for one of Cathie Lee Giffords Christmas specials at Vilar Theatre in Beaver Creek. about 50-75 people in the Audience, mostly locals with connection to the Vilar. Some maid was there with her infant, who became Fussy and then Fussier and as she got up to leave, Frank Gifford ran down from his seat, talked with the Mom and then took the Kid and calmed it down, then took her and the Kid back to their dressing room to calm down more, then came back about 15 minutes later with all three of them! What a Class Act!

Worked at the Mariott Mark Resort Vail for a couple years, got a Sunday call in that the A/C Was not working in the Main Ballroom. I knew there was a function with Danny Thomas and Former President Gerald Ford going on, but it didn't click. Went there and went up the Backside to check out the A/C unit on the roof first. Last floor through a Locked hatch. As I cleared the Hatch I Heard, Yelled, (Freeze MF'r and was confronted by 3 Secret Service agents with their Guns drawn! That'l wake your a$$ up!

And dozens and Dozens of other run-ins with Sports and Hollywood stars, but 4 of my most memorable!

Honorary mention:

3 Different times I was partying at the Local Bars when somebody walked in and Plopped down, 25K, 15K, and 10K and said everything is on them until the money was gone! Never wanted to be identified. The guy who did 25K on Fri night and 15K on Sat, even made it into the local papers as aynomous!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    edited November 1, 2020 2:39PM

have a place overlooking keystone. other then getting to do a few night rails at keystone, beaver creek is definitely my fav track in summit. was thrilled when they finally added full access to it w the summit pass.

a ton of the movie dumb and dumber was filmed out there, not aspen. most of what is seen is actually breckinridge.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Beaver Creek is also one of my Favorites. Was there for the opening season in 1980 on. Since I worked in Hospitality locally we all had free skiing from Vail Resorts so we could Hype the place to the Tourists. I will always remember skiing the Top third of BC and skiing for hours and not seeing another Skier, especially weekdays, it was like being on another planet. I scheduled myself Swing Shifts as much as possible and skied BC at least 100 times that year!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

I was in a break on Saturday night. Rob came in and got mad that I wouldn’t give up the floor. Pretty funny stuff.

• Options

I found one answer about celebrity collectors straight from the horse’s mouth. Bill Simmons mentioned on his latest Book of Basketball podcast that he collects rookie cards of every basketball hall of famer and he is about 50% done. Just everything about him screamed card collector so not too surprised that is confirmed.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Steve Aoki does box breaks on his twitch stream every week or so.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Spent 13 years as the Chief Engineer for Vail Resorts. Lot of it in Beaver Creek where I had the pleasure and ignominy of meeting and interacting with many many Famous Stars and Sports Figures. here are some of the High/Low lights!

(Keep in mind I'm not a Autograph person so never asked any of them for one)

Bill Cohwer; Sat down at the Apris Ski bar at the Hyatt not realizing who I was next to, until I heard him ask for another Beer. Ended up spending about 2 hours drinking Beers and BS'ing with him about the Steelers (My Son is a DieHard Fan, don't know where I went wrong?! :( ) Talked about the Raiders (My Team), and how much he Loved them, except to play against. Absolutely one of the Best meetings ever!

Joe Montana. Was working in a Art Gallery in Beaver Creek above the ceiling. Saw him enter with his wife and hopped off ladder and said something like Good Morning Mr. Montana, how are you, loved watching you play Football, one of my Favorite QB's, and before I could even turn away he came back with "FudsK Off, leave us alone." What a Fucjing A$$Wipe!

Jeff Foxworthy: Went to the Hyatt Cafeteria for Lunch with a Salesman buddy of mine and he was in line at the Register. After he paid for him and his family, my buddy nudged me and said watch this! He politely said Excuse me Mr. Foxworthy, but we told them at the Front Gate to not let any Rednecks up here! Foxworthy drew back and in his best Redneck way said " War'll it didn't work!!! and busted up laughing. He invited us to have lunch with him and his family, and we did! Awesome!

Was at the Pre-Show rehearsal for one of Cathie Lee Giffords Christmas specials at Vilar Theatre in Beaver Creek. about 50-75 people in the Audience, mostly locals with connection to the Vilar. Some maid was there with her infant, who became Fussy and then Fussier and as she got up to leave, Frank Gifford ran down from his seat, talked with the Mom and then took the Kid and calmed it down, then took her and the Kid back to their dressing room to calm down more, then came back about 15 minutes later with all three of them! What a Class Act!

Worked at the Mariott Mark Resort Vail for a couple years, got a Sunday call in that the A/C Was not working in the Main Ballroom. I knew there was a function with Danny Thomas and Former President Gerald Ford going on, but it didn't click. Went there and went up the Backside to check out the A/C unit on the roof first. Last floor through a Locked hatch. As I cleared the Hatch I Heard, Yelled, (Freeze MF'r and was confronted by 3 Secret Service agents with their Guns drawn! That'l wake your a$$ up!

And dozens and Dozens of other run-ins with Sports and Hollywood stars, but 4 of my most memorable!

Honorary mention:

3 Different times I was partying at the Local Bars when somebody walked in and Plopped down, 25K, 15K, and 10K and said everything is on them until the money was gone! Never wanted to be identified. The guy who did 25K on Fri night and 15K on Sat, even made it into the local papers as aynomous!

YeeHaw!

Neil

Those are some great stories. I can't believe that about Montana. What a total douchebag. I always liked him. Not so much anymore.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2020 7:52AM

@Vagabond said:

Overrated player, over inflated ego. Some of these guys just don't seem to appreciate the God-given talent, ability, and good fortune they've been blessed with. I know they work hard but the ingredients have to be there in the first place which most people in the world simply do not possess. That pathetic signature by him is an absolute CLOWN move on his part.

Luckily, there are plenty of great athletes and celebrities out there who get it and do show appreciation for what they have.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Geddy Lee of the rock band Rush collects baseball memorabilia. Mostly autographed baseballs. Not sure if his collection includes cards.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

HAHA. Great stories guys. I'm a Colorado guy myself. Live in the Springs and have a fishing cabin up in the mountains near twin lakes. Love to hear stories involving the ski resorts as well as the celebs.

Adding some of my experience as far as cool celebs and not so cool. I have gotten many many autos, most of which I paid for at the National or some sort of other signing. I got Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Harmon Killebrew all one year in Cleveland at the I-X Center. Going in I was a big fan of Mays for his ability on the field. AAron was a legend, and Killebrew more or less was just there and I liked the price.

Anyway, I can say unequivocally after the meeting my thoughts of both Aaron and especially Mays went down and Killebrew went through the roof just from a 2 minute meeting. Killebrew would take time to talk to everyone even when it held up the line. Take pictures with them, and share stories. The guy in front of me told Killebrew about his dad being the pitcher who served up Killebrew's first homer, and he totally re-lived the moment with the guy, I think he even remembered what pitch it was and told the guy his dad was a great pitcher. Seemed to be a salt of the earth guy and I will not forget that experience, RIP Killer. As for Mays and Aaron ? Neither would even speak a word to the people in front or behind me. No pictures, and gave the general perception that it was very annoying for them to have to write their name on a baseball for you that you had paid for. Terrible experience.

Had a great experience one year with Rickey Henderson too. He was very personable with my son and seemed like a bit of a card. Funny personality for sure.

PS - sorry for continuing the celebs theme and diverging from the OP's post about celeb collectors.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman