Home Sports Talk

Former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz to receive medal of freedom

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

President Donald Trump on Friday said that he would award the Presidential Medal of Freedom to legendary Notre Dame football coach Lou Holtz.

“We have looked at Lou’s life and his career and what he’s done for charity, and the football is obvious,” Trump said. “He was a great coach, but what he has done beyond even coaching.
Trump said that he and Holtz had been friends for a long time, as the coach appeared with the president at a press conference at the White House.

The president recalled that Holtz’s wife recently passed away.

“An incredible woman. I knew her,” Trump and added jokingly, “She was stronger than Lou.”

Holtz delivered a speech during the Republican National Convention endorsing Trump for re-election and criticizing the modern left.

“They don’t have pride in our country, because they no longer ask, ‘What can I do for my country?’ Only what the country should be doing for them,” he said. “They don’t have pride in themselves. That’s wrong.”

Trump said that the medal would be awarded in the coming days.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a tremendous honor for Lou. Congrats to him

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    that is a tremendous honor for Lou. Congrats to him

Indeed. He was a linebacker at Kent State. Notre Dame has never been the same since he left.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always rooted against Lou holtz coached teams, but am glad he got it. A quality person in college athletics.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Holtz!!