Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shaquille O’Neal Topps Gold RC

Hey Guys, looking for some advice on this card. What originally looked to be a hair on the left side of the thick white border is actually a defect. It’s really terrible because otherwise this card is completely flawless. Centering looks perfect front and back, corners and sides looks awesome. Is it worth grading or will too much be deducted for this flaw? I saw a PSA 10 recently go for nearly 4K which got me thinking of grading it. With the flaw it’s not a 10 but what grade do you think I could expect? Hopefully the image posts.. Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

First to answer your question with the flaw it won’t grade well, nice looking card though.

Secondly how can the Shaq topps gold possibly be selling for more than the upper deck 1st pick card? The topps gold has 100 more psa 10’s and a hit rate of 18% versus the 3.5% rate for the upper deck.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Don't all the draft pick cards have gold on them that year? I didn't think that was a parallel, or am I just reading into the "Gold" label too far?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    Don't all the draft pick cards have gold on them that year? I didn't think that was a parallel, or am I just reading into the "Gold" label too far?

That Shaq rookie has a regular and gold version like the rest of the set.

For the defect above, that print flaw will hurt on grading. Otherwise a nice card

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

You're looking at a 7 with that defect. Otherwise a nice card.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a good card, I would keep it raw though

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang. $4k? I have a rack with a Shaq Gold showing on the bottom. Might be time to check out completed sales.

Arthur

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Dang. $4k? I have a rack with a Shaq Gold showing on the bottom. Might be time to check out completed sales.

Arthur

Tha’s what I was thinking...

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

I’ll keep it raw, thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I would check recent sales, going through the roof right now. Good luck!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:

@mrmopar said:

That Shaq rookie has a regular and gold version like the rest of the set.

For the defect above, that print flaw will hurt on grading. Otherwise a nice card

I was partially right. The 92 Draft part is gold on all the draft cards. The name section is the gold parallel I see. I guess I never bought those and probably didn't realize or had forgotten there was a gold parallel.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.