Home Sports Talk

Kentucky Derby is Saturday.....

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2020 5:46PM in Sports Talk

Tiz the law the favorite! Anyone have any other opinions?

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be the best. Is healthy, working great. But it's a horse race so one never knows. Not sure if there will be a full 20 horse field. He may have scared away many challengers. Must break clean and avoid a traffic jam/being bumped. Many things have to go right. Unsure of the track condition as of today. So many things must go right to win, but it only takes one thing to go wrong to lose.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

Are you Double D’s brother? 😂😂😂

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 3:42AM

@perkdog said:

@Hallco said:

Are you Double D’s brother? 😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂 He's not my brother, but I have to tip my hat to him.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to miss 155,000 fans singing 'My Old Kentucky Home' as the horses come onto the track.

If Trevor Denman were calling the Derby he would say this as Tiz the law was mid stretch "“they would have to sprout wings to catch him;”

18 horses entered.

Tiz the Law post position #17!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the horses be wearing masks?

@stevek said:

Not necessary.

They will load them in the starting gate with every other horse facing in the opposite direction.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually the Derby and the Indy 500 are the sign of spring and summer. Warmer days and vacations. This year the Derby will mark the start of football season and Autumn.
    I can’t bet a heavy favorite starting in the 17th position in an 18 horse field. He may run away with it but that’s just me.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

Not necessary.

They will load them in the starting gate with every other horse facing in the opposite direction.

Maybe they'll practice social distancing during the race by keeping each horse at least 6 lengths apart.

Angles. Post position for Tiz,17, equals the number of years since this horses connections won the 2003 Derby with their horse "Funny Cide". Also the last time Tiz lost was on the Churchill Downs track where the Derby takes place. Churchill has also purchased a new starting gate which will be in place for the Derby. Supposed to be more efficient to deal with these large fields.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

lets go for........... either Honor AP or NY Traffic for the upset win. :D

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

@thisistheshow said:

That’s as good as any. I’d pick the field before the favorite coming out of the 17 hole in an 18 horse race.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Two scratches. I like the favorite ... Tiz the Law.

I’m going with Money Moves because I can’t and never will bet a 4/5 favorite.

W.C.Fields

Winner ... Authentic
    Second ... Tiz the Law

Awesome race.

@Jimnight said:
    Winner ... Authentic
    Second ... Tiz the Law

Awesome race.

How many times has the word "Authentic" appeared on a PSA flip. A hunch bet there.

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

That’s as good as any. I’d pick the field before the favorite coming out of the 17 hole in an 18 horse race.

We just had the wrong horse. At least I didn’t tear up a 4/5 shot ticket. But tear up a ticket I did. 😞

W.C.Fields

How do they let a Bob Baffert horse go off 8-1 in the Kentucky Derby?

@2dueces said:

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

We just had the wrong horse. At least I didn’t tear up a 4/5 shot ticket. But tear up a ticket I did. 😞

You had the right idea, just the wrong horse.

Unfortunately at the racetrack as we all know, that doesn't pay anything. 😞

@stevek said:
    How do they let a Bob Baffert horse go off 8-1 in the Kentucky Derby?

Baffert doesn’t know crap about the Kentucky Derby. He’s only won 6 of them. 😂
    Reminds me of the line in Tin Cup.
    Johnny Millers probably up in the booth telling me to lay up.
    Yeah, what does he know. He only won this before you were born.

W.C.Fields
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good race. Thanks for the replies everyone! <3

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great race. Will we ever see another secretariat. Well, I’m just thankful we got to see big red, but I miss him whenever I watch the derby.

edited September 6, 2020 12:03PM

@Goldenage said:
    Great race. Will we ever see another secretariat. Well, I’m just thankful we got to see big red, but I miss him whenever I watch the derby.

Never. Big Red was once in a century horse. When he passed on it was reported that his heart was twice as large as a normal horse his size. 1973 Belmont winner by 31 lengths. That’s impossible!
    But we all saw it. I have to believe there are quite a few $2 win tickets still out there uncashed.

W.C.Fields
    edited September 7, 2020 6:54PM

@2dueces said:

But we all saw it. I have to believe there are quite a few $2 win tickets still out there uncashed.

For Willie Shoemaker's last ride every ticket bore that description "Shoe's Last Ride". I was there. I took Eddie Delahouysses horse who should've been no more than a $10 winner. But because all the fans wanted a piece of history they pounded the tellers window at Santa Anita for these "collectibile" $2 win tickets betting on Shoe. This of course drastically altered the odds on the other runners.

Shoe lost his last ride.

Eddie's horse paid $28.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Goldenage said:

Never. Big Red was once in a century horse. When he passed on it was reported that his heart was twice as large as a normal horse his size. 1973 Belmont winner by 31 lengths. That’s impossible!

Yes there are.