Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is there a good site or two to learn about Ancient Coins 101

I've collected coins for over 50 years but know very little about ancient coins.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a site, but Wayne Sayles did a 6 volume set on Ancient Coin Collecting. They're short reads, and you can pick out the areas of interest if you don't want to read all of them. I learned a lot from them and they are still on my bookshelf. My local library (at a previous location) had a set, so that might be worth a check, or if you're a member of the ANA, you can probably borrow them.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Not a site, but Wayne Sayles did a 6 volume set on Ancient Coin Collecting. They're short reads, and you can pick out the areas of interest if you don't want to read all of them. I learned a lot from them and they are still on my bookshelf. My local library (at a previous location) had a set, so that might be worth a check, or if you're a member of the ANA, you can probably borrow them.

Great suggestions. Thank you.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug Smith's site has been around as long as the Internet itself, and has plenty of good introductory info on ancients in general. https://forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/

Wildwinds is still probably the best "one shop stop" website for looking up ancient coins, once you know (or think you know) what kind of coin you've got. wildwinds.com/coins/

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Sapyx . I'll check them out.