Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay item location question

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would an item on eBay be listed " Item location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States",
and then be shipped from Los Angeles?

I'm happy with the coin, no problems with purchase or receiving it, I'm just curious. This is not the first time I've noticed this.

Comments

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Since the pandemic I've been living at my beach house and shipping coins from there - even though my "ebay address" is listed as another city. It shows up weird in the tracking info - but hasn't seemed to bother anybody yet.

• Options

@oldUScoins said:
    Since the pandemic I've been living at my beach house and shipping coins from there - even though my "ebay address" is listed as another city. It shows up weird in the tracking info - but hasn't seemed to bother anybody yet.

That's one scenario I considered, and it makes sense. It doesn't bother me. Coin was shipped promptly and I'm happy with it and the whole transaction.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@oldUScoins said:

That's one scenario I considered, and it makes sense. It doesn't bother me. Coin was shipped promptly and I'm happy with it and the whole transaction.

Probably a question for the seller, if you really need to know. ;)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@MWallace said:

@oldUScoins said:

Probably a question for the seller, if you really need to know. ;)

Thank you.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    Why would an item on eBay be listed " Item location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States",
    and then be shipped from Los Angeles?

I'm happy with the coin, no problems with purchase or receiving it, I'm just curious. This is not the first time I've noticed this.

a consignment where the consignor doesn't have the coin? i can think of at least a couple reasons to do this. one can also change item location in the listing description. i can think of at least a couple reasons for doing this. there are 2-4 address options within the ebay menus. general address, shipping address, return address and perhaps one other i'm not thinking of.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 4:07PM

seller can put any item location he desires into the listing. It has nothing to do with his ebay registered address. Many asian listings will give a US item location just to get the sale.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@oldUScoins said:

This scenario happened to a friend. I don't know if it was the cause of what happened with a package I received, but it came from FL instead of CO, which tacked on quite a few days. Ended up not making a difference, but since I bought the item for a trip, the extra few days weren't ideal.

On a more local note, you could see differences based on where someone's office address is versus where they mail. My PO Box is not in the city where I usually ship from, but they're not that far apart.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be he was living in one state when he opened Ebay account and then moved to his new location, could be a college student away at college, could be mailed while on vacation etc. etc. If you really care just email seller and ask why.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    seller can put any item location he desires into the listing. It has nothing to do with his ebay registered address. Many asian listings will give a US item location just to get the sale.

i used to think this and be able to do it but the system fights me on it now for some reason.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file