Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever received something back from PCGS like this?

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a raw 1836 Lettered Edge Half to PCGS for grading- it returned like this:

Is this the new way for PCGS to get me to take another bite from the apple?

The color looked OK to me, but there is a very colorful area on the reverse base. Is that it? If I choose to try again do I return it in this holder with the sticker on? What are the odds that after restoration it would return as a cleaned coin? It happened to me in an identical situation at NGC.

I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen that and would be interested in the outcome. it seems the overall cost wouldn't be that much.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feel lucky?

• Collect4funCollect4fun Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

Yes, I sent the coin back and came back details again after restoration. This was a money pit for me but I’m sure they all don’t turn out that way.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they want to dip it so there's no color to question? ;)

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve not seen that before. I think in some situations it may be a great help to the submitter. It’s advertising, of course, but the submitter may not be aware of the option or which coins might be well served by the process.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 10:51AM

@PerryHall said:
    They'll probably just dip it and you'll get back a nice bright 184 year old white coin.

That is EXACTLY what will happen.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• PacificWRPacificWR Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 11:01AM

Yes. I have received two Morgan Dollars back with this sticker. Both times I resubmitted for restoration and when I received the Morgan Dollars back the grade were bumped up to the next grade. One was a 1884-CC it went from MS-65 to MS-66. The other Morgan Dollar went from MS-64 to MS-65 (1878).

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that exactly but...I recently received back a Merc in a QC holder. It had light tan/brown natural toning on it from an envelope or album. It was not even particularly attractive, just neutral. They are tossing that QC on everything these days. It's absurd. The coin was a variety so I paid for variety attribution too which wasted even more money, not to mention the TV. Too much inconsistency and stuff that just makes me shake my head. Other people send coins to PCGS with absolutely wild toning that half the people question and it goes through just fine. I send something in that has neutral tan/brown from an envelope or album and it gets trashed. This has ABSOLUTELY changed my business practices and where I spend my money.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen that sticker but it was on a coin that actually needed it. It was on old copper which is outside my comfort zone to restore.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I just sent in a 1944 Liberty for grading. One of my sentimentals. I expect the same grade. Is that label easily removed?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    No, but I got one a few years ago that had a sticker with this:

Or this 🖕

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen that sticker before, but I have heard of someone receiving a phone recommending restoration...whether it is true or not i don't know.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

You wouldn't happen to have before and after pics do ya?

Cause looks to me like that coin should have straight graded the first time through

@USMarine6 said:
    Cause looks to me like that coin should have straight graded the first time through

Pendleton or Lejune USMarine6?

East coast. I'm not a Hollywood marine. Lol

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but one time a plumber unclogged my drain, and after i paid, asked if i wanted that active leak fixed. Said wat leak? don't have leaks! Said well you do now.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

@Baley said:
    No, but one time a plumber unclogged my drain, and after i paid, asked if i wanted that active leak fixed. Said wat leak? don't have leaks! Said well you do now.

Plumbers earn more than lawyers, doctors and such. Waylon sang it wrong.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 3:09PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Personally, I would be upset that they put a sticker on my slab. They should have posted it on your paper work NOT your slab. 🙄

My initial thought was that it would be better if was IN the slab as part of the insert.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Across the street did that to me once, sent in a coin that was a 50-50 shot at holdering, got a notification that restoration would improve the coin, so I called and asked,"will then it holder regular" they did say the graders made the statement that it will help, but no guarantee, well, all it did was cost me an extra hundered bucks for a dip job

As long as the label will not have cleaned on it, I would consider restoration services. No sticker for me.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Another sticker >:)

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kccoin said:
    Sweet! Another sticker >:)

If they’d change the shape we could call it a “clean bean”

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the suggestions posted here. Notify via Email/Phone call on the restoration option,while the coin is in their hands. Save $ and avoid chance coin is lost in the mail going back/forth an extra time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • @JeffMTampa said:
    I sent a raw 1836 Lettered Edge Half to PCGS for grading- it returned like this:

Is this the new way for PCGS to get me to take another bite from the apple?

The color looked OK to me, but there is a very colorful area on the reverse base. Is that it? If I choose to try again do I return it in this holder with the sticker on? What are the odds that after restoration it would return as a cleaned coin? It happened to me in an identical situation at NGC.

Think what PCGS is trying to tell you is if you send the coin back in to restoration then the grade may change from "details" to AU. Apparently someone tried to do a light cleaning on the coin and it left some kind of residue on it. I have had this sticker on two of my coins returned by PCGS. Both times I resubmitted to restoration and received a higher grade when they were returned.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sticker should read......."next time, please dip the coin".

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

The PCGS price guide AU spread is $350-800. I don't know what a Details coin would go for (or an AU in the actual market) but it certainly could be worth the effort/money. 100% agree that you should have been given the opportunity to take advantage of the service before it got mailed back to you.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should you have the right to know what conservation step/s will be taken? I thought dipping circulated coins was frowned upon.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 6:55AM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    The PCGS price guide AU spread is $350-800. I don't know what a Details coin would go for (or an AU in the actual market) but it certainly could be worth the effort/money. 100% agree that you should have been given the opportunity to take advantage of the service before it got mailed back to you.

PCGS wants you to spend $50 of that value on shipping, $10 in another handling fee, plus the cost of the Restoration Fee plus a ton of wasted time. I'm not sure how everyone else views this when it comes to customer service but I know how I view it.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@ShaunBC5 said:

PCGS wants you to spend $50 of that value on shipping, $10 in another handling fee, plus the cost of the Restoration Fee plus a ton of wasted time. I'm not sure how everyone else views this when it comes to customer service but I know how I view it.

A quick phone call to the submitter would have been the right thing to do.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@keyman64 and @PerryHall I completely agree with you on the customer service part. The sticker should be the final attempt after phone call and email fail. But if the difference is $200 for a Details coin and $800 for an AU58, sometimes you grin and bear it for your own good. Complain to customer service, maybe dip it yourself and send it to their competitor, but get it out of the Details holder if possible (and recommended by someone you trust, who may not have the best customer service).

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see hairlines or any other signs of cleaning on the coin. My guess is the "restoration" would consist of a MS70 treatment, not a dip. After they give the coin a makeover my gut tells me they'll say it's been cleaned. I'll take the sticker off and post better photos of the coin.

I think the coin looks great as-is, but it will be interesting to see opinions from good photos.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting wording that the grading team "feels" rather than "thinks" or "believes"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty evident the consensus here is that customers would prefer a phone call or e-mail. Hopefully that gets noticed.

The coin isn't unattractive. I'm guessing they feel pretty strongly that with a bit of a dip it would end up in an AU holder. Otherwise they'd have said nothing and left it at that. Sure would have been nice to have the option before it got shipped back.

• You coin reminds me of this one I sent to NGC a few years back. Same kinda deal, they called and said it could benefit from conservation, so I opted for it.....came back blast white.... I almost cried....

Good cry or sad cry @Kenscoins2287?

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear. I would be super displeased if I spent all that money for a flawless slab for my special coin, only to have to commit to damaging it with goo gone and a razor. Why bother spending extra if junk adhesive is gonna get in every nook and cranny when you're done slicing it up? Amazing service, but please, not like this. There are other ways. Use your powers for good PCGS. I know you can do it, you've done it before. With great power comes great responsibility.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now submit to get a CAC sticker...let's see how many stickers you can get on there!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file