Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the proper grade for this card?

I scanned this one at 600 dpi. I believe this is in a very old flip, so I'm wondering what grade you all think this card would garner if it were graded today.

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am guessing PSA 6 EX-MT

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess between PSA 5 or 6.

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

without scrolling, my initial thought was 5 - 5.5

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a PSA 6, but I will bet the farm that it is a PSA 7.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Probably 5-6 because of corners.

PackManInNC
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it is an 8

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a 6, 7 on a good day.

• Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

• WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Patrick

• 19591959 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Six.

• mrhighgrademrhighgrade Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Gotta go with luck 7.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 6:09PM

Maybe it is the high resolution but the focus/registration seems a little off. I don't see it as a 7. 6.5 at best if the focus is not off.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    Maybe it is the high resolution but the focus/registration seems a little off. I don't see it as a 7. 6.5 at best if the focus is not off.

Yeah besides the registration my first thought was PD with all the snow in the black box. I think it's a in a PSA 6 holder, but it should be a 5 in my opinion.

• dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I would say it would grade at a 6.

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

6 is my guess

We gonna get a reveal tonight?

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hardly used, but accurate in this case, qualifier. Lots of corner wear for a 7, but maybe they figured " hey, we can't kick the submitter in the chicklets twice, so let him have the numerical grade." lol

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭

I think using that qualifier is ridiculous. That's basically a decent 6 or lower end 7 all day long. Crack it out and send in raw. Focus is not horrible on that card.

Rarely used QUAL and that is not it.

Maybe Mickey is right. It was graded a while ago, so it's anyone's guess what it get today.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I never felt that it was definitely an 8. I just wasn't sure that it deserved the qualifier.

• 19591959 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Mabe it was a new grader and he was letting the card owner know that Mickey Mantle played OF.

@1959 said:
    Mabe it was a new grader and he was letting the card owner know that Mickey Mantle played OF.

Dude, I never thought of that! I've never heard of the 'outfielder' qualifier. It's now my favorite qualifier, followed by the qualifiers (CF) and (LF).

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    A hardly used, but accurate in this case, qualifier. Lots of corner wear for a 7, but maybe they figured " hey, we can't kick the submitter in the chicklets twice, so let him have the numerical grade." lol

Dang nam, you're a tough grader.
    Lot's of corner wear for a 7?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

So, what's the best way to submit this card to get rid of the qualifier? I hate to break it out, because of the risk of a lower grade. I just want to see if they can get rid of the qualifier. What is the likelihood that the qualifier could be removed if I simply submitted for review?

I would interpret this card to have graded a PSA 5 had someone asked for no qualifiers.

I would put the odds at this card getting a straight PSA 7 today at extremely low.

If losing a 7 on the slab is important to you do not crack this and try a review and request a minimum grade of 7.

I would not guarantee a 7; but I think the odds of the OF qual returning are quite low especially when it is not badly out of focus. I lean towards a straight 6.