Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Braves sweep the Red Sox 3 straight...go 21-5 in June (franchise best), and are now 51-30 overall...

CONTINOUSLY KICKING A$$!!!! GO BRAVES!!!!

Comments

• SlipKnot515SlipKnot515 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    Mariners-Braves in the series would be awesome.....It's nice having my two favorite teams doing so well.....image
  • Derrick,

As you know by now, I'm a Red Sox fan. There's always next year image

We need offense and another SP. Braves are loaded in the minors with young pitching prospects such as
    Jong Bong, a good lefty who has a good ground-out to fly-out ratio.

Thanks,
    ROBERT A
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 4,287 ✭✭
    Robert, I agree. Pitching is the key to a winning team. If you don't have pitching, then don't expect to be winning a lot of games. Braves have a great starting rotation and we have the #1 bullpen in baseball based on statistics alone...And, we probably have the best Farm system in the majors as well. We're always racking out some great players.

If your Red Sox can get some pitching, then I think they'll be ok. Bullpen is also another key factor. Hang in there! image
  • thank you braves!!!!! image im a yankee fan, a big yankee fan image

RED SOCKS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! image

their year will never come, they cant stay in first place past the all star break, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
    References: just ask, I have 20+
    Ebay ID - hamdog510: 53 pos. 0 neg.
    ***Only 1 card away from completing my 2001 Fleer Game Time Uniformity PATCH set***
    I need these Derek Jeters:
    1993 Stadium Club Murphy
    1993 Topps Inaugural Marlins
    1993 Topps Inaugural Rockies
    1993 Upper Deck Gold Hologram
  • weasel510 you married to George? Moving on up.................

Robert A
  • NashNash Posts: 709
    Jong Bong??? lol
  • yes, i am married to george, lol image
    References: just ask, I have 20+
    Ebay ID - hamdog510: 53 pos. 0 neg.
    ***Only 1 card away from completing my 2001 Fleer Game Time Uniformity PATCH set***
    I need these Derek Jeters:
    1993 Stadium Club Murphy
    1993 Topps Inaugural Marlins
    1993 Topps Inaugural Rockies
    1993 Upper Deck Gold Hologram
  • Yes, go Braves, my favorite team. Ya, Bong is awesome, he came up and pitched one game this season and pitched very well for his first start in the bigs.
  • YanksFanYanksFan Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
    Derrick Derrick Derrick, The Braves farm system is no where close to how good the Yankee farm system is. Hell from our farm system this is only some of the guys who were "cranked" out recently, a list no one can compete with:
    Bernie Williams
    Derek Jeter
    Alfonso Soraino(Leading AL twobaggers in All Star voting)
    Nick Johnson
    Andy Petite
    Jorge Posada(Leading AL catchers in All Star voting)
    Mariano Rivera(One of the best closers in baseball, bar none)

Plus the Yankees have some of the best prospects in the minors.

You guys have a great pitcher staff, I can't argue that. But there all getting up there in age, so trading off those guys in the coming 2 seasons is what the Braves need to do, and about that discussion, who's better Clemens Vs. Maddux. Please read the 02 July Beckett baseball. It clears up your fogged view of the subject. Beckett also listed list 4 players today who are LOCKS for the HOF. The Rocket, The Big Unit, Rickey Henderson, and Barry Bonds. Funny thing is, they didn't list Andruw, who you call the greatest centerfielder of all-time(my a*s!!!), but they did list alot of other up and comers who, if the chips fall right, will be in cooperstown.

Even with your "great" record as you call it, you have no competition in your division, who do the Braves have to battle for the division title? Philly? The Mutts? The only reason they won some many division titles(11 in a row, I think) is because of the horrible division they play for.

That's okay, come postseason time the Braves will choke again, like they've done the last decade.

Hey, why isn't Bobby cox managing the NL all star team? Torre is for the AL.

There's only one guy on the Braves roster with a legit shot to make the All Star game and thats Furcal, who's in 5th places about 150,000 votes off the lead.

slipknot-The big M's will choke like last year. All I have to say.

• SlipKnot515SlipKnot515 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    lol, yanks, your infatuation with the yankees is sickening.....you talk like you are sleeping with half the team.....and is everything Beckett says true?
    errrr....I dunno where your coming from. Just trying to point out that the Braves are not the best team in baseball and have choked for the past decade. It was my recollection that the yankees have gone to the World Series 5 out of the last 6 years and won it 4 times. The Mariners best pitcher, Freddy Garcia, was just blown out 13-2 by the A's. The Mariner's are doing great, but building a team around a older player(Ichiro) isn't a great idea. Yes, he is a Superb player, one of the best outfielder in the game and one of the purest hitters I've seen with my 2 eyes. But to say it the nicest way possible, he ain't young. Big Edgar(another great) is really close to retirement. The Mariners', I think and many others think, that they don't have what it takes.

It's not only Beckett, listen to any competent sports announcer/analyst and they will tell you that the Rocket is one of the best pitchers in the MLB in the last half century. 6 Cy Young awards. Most strikeouts in AL history.

<< <i>Derrick Derrick Derrick, The Braves farm system is no where close to how good the Yankee farm system is. Hell from our farm system this is only some of the guys who were "cranked" out recently, a list no one can compete with:
    Bernie Williams
    Derek Jeter
    Alfonso Soraino(Leading AL twobaggers in All Star voting)
    Nick Johnson
    Andy Petite
    Jorge Posada(Leading AL catchers in All Star voting)
    Mariano Rivera(One of the best closers in baseball, bar none)

Plus the Yankees have some of the best prospects in the minors.

You guys have a great pitcher staff, I can't argue that. But there all getting up there in age, so trading off those guys in the coming 2 seasons is what the Braves need to do, and about that discussion, who's better Clemens Vs. Maddux. Please read the 02 July Beckett baseball. It clears up your fogged view of the subject. Beckett also listed list 4 players today who are LOCKS for the HOF. The Rocket, The Big Unit, Rickey Henderson, and Barry Bonds. Funny thing is, they didn't list Andruw, who you call the greatest centerfielder of all-time(my a*s!!!), but they did list alot of other up and comers who, if the chips fall right, will be in cooperstown.

Even with your "great" record as you call it, you have no competition in your division, who do the Braves have to battle for the division title? Philly? The Mutts? The only reason they won some many division titles(11 in a row, I think) is because of the horrible division they play for.

That's okay, come postseason time the Braves will choke again, like they've done the last decade.

Hey, why isn't Bobby cox managing the NL all star team? Torre is for the AL.

There's only one guy on the Braves roster with a legit shot to make the All Star game and thats Furcal, who's in 5th places about 150,000 votes off the lead.

slipknot-The big M's will choke like last year. All I have to say. >>

Your farm system doesn't "constantly" rake out good players like the Braves have over the past 11-14 seasons. You fail to realize the players that WE have dished out...but unlike the Yankees...they have to continiusly BUY championship teams...I'd love for MLB to hit them with a salary cap and then let's see what your "OH so mighty" Yankees could do then. They wouldn't do much...of course they're going to win...keep buying them teams...we have great teams without having to buy and buy the team. That's rediculous.

Clemens vs. Maddux. You also fail to realize that Clemens has a couple years on Maddux in that he's played longer. Well, of course he's going to have more inn. pitched...more wins...etc, etc...because he's played longer. But, you look at the "averages" and you'll see who's leading in those categories and that would Mr. Maddux. Maddux is better than Clemens, but not by much. Maddux doesn't have to be over-powering to be a great pitcher...He's a great pitcher because he's smart about what he does and he's the "professor". He's actually coming out with a book after he retires that reveals his secrets to pitching...don't think a bunch of people will flock to that book. Andruw Jones is the best CF in the baseball today...Trust me, I watch this guy on a daily basis and he makes some of the most unbelievable plays I've ever seen...You just want to to hate on the guy because he's the best and one of your Yankees' isn't...the truth hurts sometimes. The majority of people in MLB love to watch this guy and many managers have said that he's the best they've ever seen in CF, and I would have to agree. Hell, even if he was with ANOTHER team...he'd still be the best at his position...it's not because he's a Brave that I say this...Even Peter Gammons has said HIMSELF that Andruw is the best he's ever seen...and what does BECKETT know anyway? Is there where you flock to get all your "info" regarding a certain situation? You oughta check out other higher power sources that actually know what their talking about before you start yapping at the mouth about how so and so wasn't listed...and blah blah...that's horse crap...And, your funny...why the hell would Andruw be in that list anyway when they are talking about LOCKS for the HOF??? Hell, the guy is 24 years old and isn't even in his prime yet...that statement was uncalled for.

Stop making excuses on why the Braves are successfull. You go back and look at our division in the past 11 seasons and you'll actually see how DOMINANT the Eastern division is. We're winning because we're BETTER...there's no excuses. You go look and you'll see just HOW CLOSE those divisions have been in the past 11 seasons. Stop making excuses and realize that the Braves are just a GREAT team, and are having a great season...I could make up PLENTY excuses of why your precious Yankees are winning...lol...don't give me that bologna dude. You may say we'll choke in the playoffs again, but we're still the most winningest team in the past 11 seasons...and we've won only 1 world series? Yeah, that's right...there's some teams in baseball who haven't even come CLOSE to winning won and haven't won a WS in YEARS! All you have to do is give credit where credit is due...and yeah, 11 straight division titles...that's not just a Major League Baseball record...that's a record for any sport in the HISTORY of sports...and no one will ever match that...it'll raise to 12 this season. This Braves team is totally different that teams in the past...and is WAY better than the 1995 WS Champ. team...so be warned. If that's hard to see...then your obviously blinded by some sort of weird light.

I don't know why Cox isn't the manager...he's been the manager plenty of times in the past...he's probably tired of it. But, it's all in fun anyway. If Chipper would've been at 3rd base this season, he would also lead the in the NL voting but they moved him unfortunately. Furcal is having an awesome...Andruw Jones is having an awesome season...and how can you forget Tom Glavine? This guy is having the best season of his career and he's won 20 games 5 times so that's actually saying a lot. Maddux and Glavine are just getting better with age...look at the numbers...they'll be around a while.

Stop hating.

...Silence...
    I was actually laughing about what you wrote. Then I realized you were serious about Jones being the "greatest" CF in the game. Beckett listed players who have a valid shot at making the HOF, not just locks. Here were some of the younger guys; Vlad Guerrero and he's only 26, they also listed Jeter and Arod, there only 27. So him being 24 isn't a good excuse. Also, I know that Big Bernie is not the greatest centerfielder of all time, but he is very consistent. A more well rounded player than Jones who's currently batting .272.
    So I put together some stats.
    These are the catagories I listed, because they have nothing to do with how long a certain player has been in the game, but how consistent.

Career Averages

OBP SLG AVG FPCT
    1.) A. Jones .341 .490 .268 .988
    2.) B. Williams .390 .497 .305 .989
    3.) K. Griffey Jr. .379 .564 .295 .986
    4.) J. Damon .347 .427 .288 .989
    5.) J. Edmonds .378 .524 .295 .990

Now granted, Jones will hopefully not get injured and he will improve. But no where near the levels you expect of him. So I used the same thing you do, averages. Now you will probably will come back and say something about him being 24 or something to that effect. I've just compared him to his peers and he looks to be in the middle of the pack, not on top.

How do you figure that the Yankees bought there titles, the salaries for the Yanks and Braves are nearly identical and the Braves have 1 ring to show for it. Now when you say the Yankees have bought there titles, back it up with facts, not talk.

Please explain to me, by numbers how Jones is the best, not by opinions.

Jones is batting .272, hows that awesome? I'll give it up to Furcal and Glavine. But back to the Maddux/Clemens thing. Clemens been in 2 extra years, but did Maddux win the MVP his 2nd year? Do you think he will win 2 more Cy Young awards and Clemens won't win anymore? Do you think that Maddux will overtake Clemens in the win column? Maddux did strike out alot of batters, only later in his career did his mostly work for ground balls.

W L ERA SO FPCT
    Clemens- 288 148 3.13 3837 .971
    Personal Best season- 24 4 2.48 238 .923

W L ERA SO FPCT

Maddux- 264 148 2.85 2574 .968
    Personal Best Season- 20 10 2.36 197 .933

So in those 2 extra years that Clemens had he amassed
    - 24 more victories
    - No more losses(which means Maddux losing more games a year then Clemens)
    - 1263 more strikeouts
    - A better fielding percentage(So shutup about those Golden Gloves)

Clemens also had
    -4 more 20+ win seasons
    -An unprecedented 6 CY Young awards, he will probably get 1 more before he retires.

Maddux will go down as one of the best in the last half century, but not the best. Hate to break it to you, chum. But Clemens is a better pitcher.

Hoping for a reply, but not expecting one.