Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I be worried?

On Ebay... someone with zero feedback that just created their ebay account today, just bought a $300 card from me. Paid immediately with Paypal. Any red flags I should look for?

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same thing last week. Paid right away. I shipped to the confirmed paypal address.

You can’t block 0 feedback buyers. People have to start somewhere.

I wouldn’t worry. Anything odd with the ship to address?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's little more risk than any other transaction on eBay as a seller. With all the new money coming into card collecting, I've seen a lot of lower feedback bidders recently and, knock on wood, haven't had any issues.

Personally, I wouldn't waste money on signature confirmation at this time. None of the carriers are enforcing it. At most I've had a few ring the bell and ask if it's OK for them to sign for me, most of the time they're just dropping it off blindly regardless.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've had so many buyers lately with feedback levels from 0 - 20 lately. have really only had a problem with 1 of them.

however multiple that x 20 that send questions or asking "what's the best i can do" when a best offer feature is on.

in the past, i would have thought it was sketchy, but today i just boil it down to all the new entrants to the sports card world.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I've had plenty buy from me with 0 Feedback.

Never an issue.

• Options

Nothing odd about his address. Looks legit. I guess a lot of new buyers in the graded card market. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I sold a card recently for 1200 and the person wanted to pay by check... I thought it was strange but figured once the check cleared I should be good. The shipping address was strange too. It was a pwcc Vault account. The transaction was about 2 months ago.. check cleared and they received the cards. Despite all the red flags it seemed to go smoothly

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Socalguy1967 said:
    Nothing odd about his address. Looks legit. I guess a lot of new buyers in the graded card market. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

<<< Nothing odd about his address. >>>

Exactly.

I've said this before and i'll say it again. Google the address and look at Zillow or other real estate websites and see what the home looks like. If it's a nice house, i'll ship a 0 feedback buyer anything they want.

However, for example if it's a dingy apartment in the bad part of town with cheap rent, why is someone such as this buying a $300 card? Especially with 0 feedback. I won't ship it even if it's been paid for. In my view, it could possibly mean trouble that i don't need. So i just refund the payment and block the buyer. Yes, i've had a few negs over the years from doing this, but then again, I didn't get ripped off for some decent money so i think it was well worth it. And sooner or later the item always gets sold anyway to a good buyer that isn't any problem.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

In terms of eBay Seller Protection for a $300 item, you should be covered as long as you have tracking that shows as Delivered (you must also ship within your stated handling time). Items over $750 must also include signature confirmation.

But I agree with others -- if my "spidey sense" starts tingling for a buyer -- I will google the person's name and address to check out who/where I'm shipping to...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    I sold a card recently for 1200 and the person wanted to pay by check... I thought it was strange but figured once the check cleared I should be good. The shipping address was strange too. It was a pwcc Vault account. The transaction was about 2 months ago.. check cleared and they received the cards. Despite all the red flags it seemed to go smoothly

Good for you. All of my early sales and purchases were done using personal checks and as long as you make sure they clear..........................no problemo.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set