Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

starting a new set - is there a reference somewhere?

Though I might start a set of UK 50p coins since there are so many different designs - is there a reference that shows / lists what version are out there? I can dream of a Dansco album for this...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that the UK used to use the 50p denomination for commemoratives until it was switched to the £5 denomination sometime in the 1990s.

The £5 gave more surface area in which to showcase the design, but more importantly, allowed them to charge collectors more for resulting coin.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

The gold £5 pruebas?

You should see the laughs with this gold fever. I’ve recently told someone with early 80s gold proof £5 pounders that here in GR, we slaughter everything by the gram, proof or no proof, which is of course partly true, but in order to make my point, I didn’t get into details... :D

If it wasn’t for a 10 year hard financial crisis and now the urgency to convert more gold to cash due to COVID 19, I would have never imagined how much gold people had stashed and how many are still saving in gold sovereigns, as if the WW2 (and the Greek civil war that followed for another 4 years) never ended.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go the Spink books for 2020. Lots of interesting material in there! Of course now I want more sets...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    ... I can dream of a Dansco album for this...

Have you considered a blank US dollar (not small dollar) album and then buying Air-tite foam rings to fit both the coins and the album?