Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Time Discussion

I think this question has been asked within other threads, but I do not recall seeing a confirmed answer.

My 264-card bulk submission was received on Feb 24th and has been in Research & ID. Yesterday, I received an e-mail that my submission has moved into Grading. Today when I look at the status, my submission is now in Assembly. It started me wondering if it is humanly possible to grade 264 cards in one day?

I seem to remember a theory that there may be staff during the Research & ID phase that write up observations on each card and the grader uses these notes to give a "final" grade (before QAs).

Can anyone confirm that a huge number of cards can be graded very quickly? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think anyone who doesn't work there can say for certain, but I've had several subs go through the Grading phase very quickly.

My suspicion is one or a couple cards get held back for further research while the vast majority are sent to be graded while still showing as R&ID in the tracker. Once the stragglers clear research, they're sent to the front of the line for Grading in the tracker to wrap up the mostly already completed order.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sRockNut said:
    I think this question has been asked within other threads, but I do not recall seeing a confirmed answer.

My 264-card bulk submission was received on Feb 24th and has been in Research & ID. Yesterday, I received an e-mail that my submission has moved into Grading. Today when I look at the status, my submission is now in Assembly. It started me wondering if it is humanly possible to grade 264 cards in one day?

I seem to remember a theory that there may be staff during the Research & ID phase that write up observations on each card and the grader uses these notes to give a "final" grade (before QAs).

Can anyone confirm that a huge number of cards can be graded very quickly? Thanks.

If 264 is a large number of cards to grade in one day, then it will take forever to get through the 1,500,000 card projected backlog. I can't imagine that PSA grades fewer than 10,000 cards per day, and probably a lot more.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

It does heavily depend on if 80sRockNut means like... Bon Jovi, Slaughter, Heart, Or if referring to the true 80s greatest music of early Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Exodus type stuff. Grading is all based on this dilemma.

• Options

@Horse said:
    It does heavily depend on if 80sRockNut means like... Bon Jovi, Slaughter, Heart, Or if referring to the true 80s greatest music of early Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Exodus type stuff. Grading is all based on this dilemma.

I think we know very well that 80sRockNut is referring to Whitesnake, Poison and Van Halen.

Every card has its flaw
    Just like every night has its dawn
    Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
    Every card has its flaw

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:

@80sRockNut said:

It started me wondering if it is humanly possible to grade 264 cards in one day?

Well, how much time do you think they're spending per card to grade this stuff? Like 2 minutes? 5 minutes would be a real long time to spend looking at a card. They can always put more than one person on it too.

oh man, i think you are way over. i bet on most cards, they dont spend more than 15-30 seconds. when you deal with the volume they do, i would imagine you get pretty proficient.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@80sForever said:
    I think we know very well that 80sRockNut is referring to Whitesnake, Poison and Van Halen.

THIS^^^

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@80sForever said:

@Horse said:

Every card has its flaw
    Just like every night has its dawn
    Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
    Every card has its flaw

Classic! But how do you leave out Motley Crue?

Now listen up
    These corners are razor sharp
    If she don’t get her grades
    She’ll slice you apart

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sRockNut said:

I don't think this necessarily means your cards were graded in one day. The new "gas gauge" is not a GPS tracker. Cards might have been in grading and weren't "logged in", then got logged in for a day and moved on.

If PSA can't get 264 cards done in a couple of hours I would be surprised.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@Horse said:

Never really got into Exodus ... but the other three are on my Metal Mt. Rushmore along with Iron Maiden

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@80sRockNut said:

I don't think this necessarily means your cards were graded in one day. The new "gas gauge" is not a GPS tracker. Cards might have been in grading and weren't "logged in", then got logged in for a day and moved on.

If PSA can't get 264 cards done in a couple of hours I would be surprised.

Thanks, JB ... that thought crossed my mind too. After six months of waiting, I think that I have become psychotic with checking daily for real-time updates.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sRockNut said:

@Horse said:

Never really got into Exodus ... but the other three are on my Metal Mt. Rushmore along with Iron Maiden

What, no Anvil?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read a thread on another site where a gentleman interviewed for psa and spent 2 days going thru grader trading. he signed an nda, so couldn't go into great detail publicly, but to answer your question OP, yes. 264 would be done in probably 2 hours, tops. he said graders spent about the same time removing and reinserting the cards into cs1s, pennys as they did actually looking at them. they are then passed on to a more qualified grader who probably really only eyes the higher graded/money cards.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    I read a thread on another site where a gentleman interviewed for psa and spent 2 days going thru grader trading. he signed an nda, so couldn't go into great detail publicly, but to answer your question OP, yes. 264 would be done in probably 2 hours, tops. he said graders spent about the same time removing and reinserting the cards into cs1s, pennys as they did actually looking at them. they are then passed on to a more qualified grader who probably really only eyes the higher graded/money cards.

WOW ... that makes total sense and feels right. Amazingly, I received the e-mail (that my cards were in Grading) two days ago, and today my grades were posted. I did shockingly well and cannot wait to get them added to my collection, but I was most shocked at how fast a huge submission moved from Grading to Shipping. All my cards are for my PC, so it feels like Christmas in August today!