Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question about wax box

Hi I was wondering does anyone here think there potential that a wax box from any year of football can become like 86-87 fleer basketball?

Comments

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe 2000 contenders

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're looking for something to be like an 86 fleer wax box, the best thing to do is just start grabbing individual '86 graded packs.

Trying to find something in football to replicate what happened with 86 fleer basketball will be pretty impossible for too many reasons to even begin to list. If there ever was such thing as a perfect storm, 86 fleer basketball was it.

• kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Thanks I meant to say for example 86 topps is to football what 86 fleer is to basketball hope that makes a lil bit of sense.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

1989 Score football is the only product with a HOF rookie class that comes anywhere close to 86/87 Fleer basketball. Unfortunately, 1989 Score football production was too high to ever see massive value spikes similar to 86/87 Fleer. The other limiting factor for football is that no single player commands the international demand that Michael Jordan does. If your question is the best football boxes to own of monumental value, the I would say 1957 or 1958 Topps football. If your looking for findable boxes, 1976, 1981 and 1986 Topps will always be in high demand. 2000 contenders is the other needle in a haystack. And to think I passed up a full case of 2000 contenders on D&A website back in 2002...doh!

• kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I was looking today and it seems like 86 topps wax box goes for more then 84 topps according to ebay sold listing. Sorry for me being stupid I didn't know 2000 contenders existed at the time I only of heard of sp authentic. @jordangretzkyfan hope you don't beat urself up to bad for passing up on that case who would of knew brady would of been this great. I passed up on sp authentic Ovechkin back 2010 for $400

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I used to think 1984 Football would be legendary with Marino, Elway, Dickerson. The thing is you can buy all 3 of them in PSA 10 for about half what a PSA 9 MJ would cost. Brady rookie-year products will go bonkers if he wins another down in Tampa. Maybe short-printed Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson products as a speculative play?

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

2005-6 Cup Hockey is interesting as a long term play. Two all time great rooks in there plus 2-3 other future HOF players and relatively limited production.

• Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

My vote would be 76 Topps FB - Payton cards are really climbing and there are other great rookies and rookie HOFers in the set. 75 Topps FB is another great, undervalued set....several rookie HOFers in there.

@dustinspeaks said:

@blurryface said:
    If you're looking for something to be like an 86 fleer wax box, the best thing to do is just start grabbing individual '86 graded packs.

Trying to find something in football to replicate what happened with 86 fleer basketball will be pretty impossible for too many reasons to even begin to list. If there ever was such thing as a perfect storm, 86 fleer basketball was it.

This would be cool if every one of those hacks hadn't had the run checked.

como?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@dustinspeaks said:

@blurryface said:

This would be cool if every one of those hacks hadn't had the run checked.

como?

I think if you replace hacks w/packs & run w/sequence it makes more sense.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed that even if a 1986 Fleer Basketball Pack is sealed and graded, it's still possible someone knows the sequence and has determined whether or not there are good cards inside the graded pack. I wish PSA would offer pack grading that says
    1) FASC (from a box that was from a sealed case) -- or FASB - From A Sealed Box
    2) some sort of protective sleeves to hide the ability to see who is on the Top/Bottom of the pack.

edited August 26, 2020 6:49PM

@dustinspeaks said:
    You can tell what's in those packs without opening them. Buying single packs from that set is a pretty bad idea. Unless you just want to ignore the fact that your odds of pulling a star out of your graded pack is like a billion times lower than it would be opening a pack out of a fresh box.

Yeah, I could see how buying pack with a Jordan rookie sticker on the back could be very detrimental to ones health. And considering the collation is fairly common knowledge you could look for those 4 packs where the true Jordan potentially lies. It would also be fairly easy to piece together what woulda been a factory box.

Of course after that we can then snub those folks who wasted all that money on '52 topps low number packs knowing there is zero chance of a Mantle being in there, but whatevs. Who do they think they are thinking just having a pack from baseball's perfect storm is good enough, right? I keep waiting on the fire sales of either run to happen. Feels like it's been forever and things are going in the wrong direction!

But seriously though, who said anything about ever even opening the pack(s)?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't be considered a wax box, but 2017 fb panini prizm unopened has skyrocketed,
    especially the hobby boxes but also the 4x24 boxes and the cello (12x12) boxes.
    Mahomes prizm officially gone ballistic, now psa 9's are bringing what 10's used to bring.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@dustinspeaks said:
    The value of a pack with no star is a lot lower than the value of a pack from a fresh box. But, how do you differentiate? The pack graders aren't checking. Most people who want this stuff don't know. Wide open for fraud.

Sure, if you're going to keep it and give it to your kids, knowing there's nothing in it. Great. Or if you're going to dump it off on someone who doesn't know the difference. Hey, why not, right?

Why not just buy a wrapper? Cheaper and similar chances of a Jordan.

Don't know where to even begin on breaking this down, so I won't. Best of luck with that hobby perspective.