Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Counterfeit Proof?

No. If you don't know, don't guess. It will only make you look bad and it isn't worth the grading fee.

The below note was indeed counterfeited during it's period of circulation, but not proofs. There would be no reason to counterfeit proofs and indeed there really aren't any contemporary "counterfeit proofs". No such animal.

This note is a plate cut out of a Heath's counterfeit detector book. It was printed from genuine plates so that potential counterfeits could be compared to this genuine impression.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's very interesting; I've never seen one of those. Hey, thanks for posting it.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing Russell. I’ve often heard of the Heath Counterfeit Detection books being cannibalized for individual examples.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing that.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Plate 16" at the upper right of this note indicates that this was the 16th plate in the Heath's counterfeit detector. Genuine and counterfeit notes that actually circulated don't have this printed on them.

Heath's Counterfeit detectors were among the best selling and most widely printed of these publications. Many earlier counterfeit detectors were lists of known counterfeit notes while others described the features and designs of specific genuine notes.

Heath's detectors included plates of genuine notes, allowing for side by side comparisons. They became especially popular after the release of the new National Bank Notes and postage and fractional currency as genuine impressions from government plates were included. Heath published multiple editions in different formats and a few people collect different editions. They provide excellent primary references for research.

Eric Newman had an extensive collection of counterfeit detectors. Thanks to his generosity and today's technology, we can all have access to far more information from the counterfeit detectors in Eric collection than any other source. His huge collection of these publications can be found here:
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/periodicals?Tag=Counterfeit%20Detection

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    cinchcinch Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Interesting! I never would have guessed.

My website: RICurrency.com