Home Q & A Forum
Options

1992 D Close AM, advice on next step

Hello Everyone!

I pulled this 1992 D Close AM out of a coin roll a few months back. Super exciting! I submitted it for grading, and it received UNC details, Environmental Damage. I am a newer collector and still gaining an eye for certain things. Would this be a good candidate for the Restoration service? Would love to get a straight grade on this coin. Also I am concerned about continuing corrosion. Will restoration halt any further damage, or is the current holder enough to stop further corrosion from occuring? Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find....I think the coin is beyond redemption and if it were mine I would sell it quickly

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consign it to GC.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

To clarify, Zinc (the core) is not a stable metal. It is potentially a ticking time bomb.

• Options

Yeah I understand how volatile these modern cents can be. Conservation or Restoration wouldn't be able to help that? Really want to save the coin and keep it nice!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Taylorism said:
    Yeah I understand how volatile these modern cents can be. Conservation or Restoration wouldn't be able to help that? Really want to save the coin and keep it nice!

Good luck.
    Still a very nice find.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I would consign it to GC.

Same here.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2020 9:46AM

Welcome to the forum & nice find! :)

No amount of conservation or restorations are going to help at this point....in fact it may damage it more over the long term.
    There is a fair chance any TPG would decline doing it and you would just be out shipping. :/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!?

I hate to see nice Zincoln finds in less than perfect shape. Here today, tomorrow.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it won't get any worse.

• Options
    TaylorismTaylorism Posts: 5
    edited August 26, 2020 3:18PM

Well shoot. I didn't plan on selling it anytime soon, as it's by far my rarest coin. Was hoping that conservation would at least keep it from degrading further. It didn't change any from the grading process, which I have heard happening on modern cents.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. I think I see a potential problem of bubbling on the obv behind Abes neck at the collar. This could be the start of corrosion. IMO. Keep it as is. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

All things aside, IT'S A CLOSE 92 which is very cool.
    Keep us informed .
    My thoughts ... bag it and tag it.
    And welcome to the CU Forum.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I saw this on the CoinHELPu YouTube channel. Great find! I'm with the others, restoration probably isn't going to do anything to help the coin.

You're in a rare club finding a 92-D Close AM. If selling isn't a high priority (you could use the proceeds to purchase some very nice problem-free coins, perhaps something that has long been on your want list!!) you can always just hang onto it as a wonderful memory of an outstanding find. As a roll hunter myself, I would have a have a really, really hard time parting with a find like this!

Jeff

• Options

Yeah, I contacted Great Collections and they appraised it at $750, which at that I will hold onto the coin for now. By far my rarest find. Still an awesome coin!