Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How'd you like to find this...

Youths volunteering at an archaeological dig in central Israel have found 425 gold coins that had lain buried in a clay jar for 1,100 years.

https://bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53889695

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh ...yeah !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been quite the electric moment. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, in Israel, you wouldn't be allowed to keep such things if you found them. You wouldn't even be allowed to look for such things without a permit.

As they were found by an official archaeological dig, these coins will remain the property of the State and would become part of a museum's collection. Being in Israel, the finds may also become a focus of the politically-charged archaeological divide; as Arabic coins, these coins may be seen as "pro-Palestinian" finds; as they were found by (and will now be kept by) Israeli archaeologists, they may be perceived as not receiving the attention which Palestinian archaeologists would seek for them.

In any event, the coins will not end up in the hands of the finders, or collectors generally. The "finders reward" in this case will be getting their names in the acknowledgements of the research paper (or papers) that will eventually get published about the site and the finds, in a few years time.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)