Home Sports Talk

Bettor loses $25K in biggest UFC upset since Rousey-Holm

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/shana-dobson-agapova-bettor-loses-25k-biggest-ufc-upset-rousey-holm-022955793.html

Bettor loses $25K in biggest UFC upset since Rousey-Holm

.....Las Vegas reflected that viewpoint entering Saturday, marking Dobson as a +800 underdog and Agapova a -1429 favorite, per BetMGM.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it all on Agapova.

If anyone can PayPal me $20 so i can buy some food, it would be appreciated.

Even a free KFC coupon would be nice.

Thank you!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only sure thing where your guaranteed to not lose money is when you don’t place a wager 🤷‍♂️

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had a book around I would have dropped $20 on the underdog without blinking, would have been a nice payday.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2020 9:41AM

@stevek, I have some leftover chicken wings I was going to give to the straycat, but I can save them for you if you want.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I bet it all on Agapova.

Thank you!

ill treat you to KFc but it has to be that stanky georgia dill pickle stuff

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    @stevek, I have some leftover chicken wings I was going to give to the straycat, but I can save them for you if you want.

I'll take it, i'm starving. 🍗

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meaningless 3 pointer at the buzzer wins a lucky better $225K last night. Sh&t happens.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:
    I bet it all on Agapova.

Thank you!

ill treat you to KFc but it has to be that stanky georgia dill pickle stuff

It's like the old saying when you're hungry, stanky georgia dill pickle stuff sure tastes fine. 🍽️

@DrBuster said:
    If I had a book around I would have dropped $20 on the underdog without blinking, would have been a nice payday.

I've never seen anything even remotely close to an 800-1 dog in a prizefight. To illustrate how high that is, if i'm remembering right, Buster Douglas was a 49-1 dog when he fought Mike Tyson, and "nobody" thought he had any chance whatsoever of winning that fight. These odds were over 16x higher than that!

@2dueces said:
    Meaningless 3 pointer at the buzzer wins a lucky better $225K last night. Sh&t happens.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jamal-murrays-meaningless-3-was-a-huge-loss-for-bet-mgm-with-one-bettor-having-a-215000-swing-181144288.html

Yea, those poor sports bookies.

Tell ya what...i'm sending the KFC coupon to them so they can eat, i feel so bad for their loss. 🐔

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

I've never seen anything even remotely close to an 800-1 dog in a prizefight. To illustrate how high that is, if i'm remembering right, Buster Douglas was a 49-1 dog when he fought Mike Tyson, and "nobody" thought he had any chance whatsoever of winning that fight. These odds were over 16x higher than that!

Exactly, insane odds, would have chased that bet for sure.

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

I watched that fight and remember how it shocked the boxing world. No one went 1 round with Tyson let alone had the chance of beating him. The stars aligned for Buster that night. Tyson not taking Douglas seriously, lack of training and the biggest thing Cus passing away. Corner men unprepared. On Buster Douglas’s side the chance of a lifetime but the real motivation was Buster’s mother passing away. His title defense he came in 30 pounds over weight and is now just a sports trivia answer.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

I watched that fight and remember how it shocked the boxing world. No one went 1 round with Tyson let alone had the chance of beating him. The stars aligned for Buster that night. Tyson not taking Douglas seriously, lack of training and the biggest thing Cus passing away. Corner men unprepared. On Buster Douglas’s side the chance of a lifetime but the real motivation was Buster’s mother passing away. His title defense he came in 30 pounds over weight and is now just a sports trivia answer.

I watched that fight live on TV. Tyson has reformed himself quite nicely, but back then he was a thug, and I was very pleased at the time to see him knocked out on the floor.

@DrBuster said:

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

Exactly, insane odds, would have chased that bet for sure.

Reminds me a little bit of those bridge jumper show bets at the horse race track, whereby a gambler will load up on a heavy favorite to show, to win $2.10 which is a 5% profit.

On paper, some of these horses seem like a better risk than interest money in the bank. Like they can't lose the race let alone finish worse than 3rd for the show money.

The basic problem is you've got to hit on 20 out of 21 bets on these races just to break even, and that's extremely difficult to do. The 25K prizefight bridge jumper found that out the hard way on his "can't lose" bet.

Sooner or later, with rare exceptions, even the best horses run out of the money, the best fighters get beat, the best sports teams lose, etc, and this is true with any bridge jumper sports bet.

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

I watched that fight live on TV. Tyson has reformed himself quite nicely, but back then he was a thug, and I was very pleased at the time to see him knocked out on the floor.

I like what Mike has become as a man. Cus found him as a 17 year old punk but he always loved and knew his boxing history. I saw him speak a few years back. Humble, funny and damn sure made fun of himself. Sometimes we forget in their prime they’re just kids. Thank goodness my teen, early 20’s weren’t documented. Embarrassing to say the least.

W.C.Fields