Home Sports Talk
Options

30 Under Par. Quite The Accomplishment.

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Dustin Johnson in the Northern Trust event today. Can't recall such a low score elsewhere. Way to go.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options

Forgot to mention,he did win. That was his final under par total.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    under par  is impossible  you need 1 stroke per hole  there is no way you can score less than 18 on 18 holes 

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    under par is impossible you need 1 stroke per hole there is no way you can score less than 18 on 18 holes

Guess I was not specific enough. The 30 under par total encompassed all 4 rounds.

• Options

For 72 holes ? par is 72

if you can't get a hole in one on every hole you have no business being out there

once you realize the windmill blades cant actually hit the ball its childs play

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

The course was tricked up for very low scores to draw in a TV audience. Not taking anything away from his score but the rough was non existent. Fairways were rolled for maximum bounce and roll. Pins were positioned on flat spots and speed a comfortable 7-8. The players now drive 350 yards. Driver, wedge. For the Pros this weekend was putt-putt.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m more confused then I usually am when it comes to Golf Talk 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2020 7:38AM

it was a Secretariat-at-Belmont type of performance. DJ was only the third PGA player to finish at 30 under or better, and his margin of victory was the largest in almost 15 years. The Northern Trust was the first leg of the FedExCup playoffs, meaning he was up against the top 124 players on tour. and not one of them could stay within 10 shots of him over 72 holes.

but the bigger picture (and i was talking to a friend about this the other day) is that golf in the year 2020 is revealing just how dominant Tiger Woods was during his prime many years ago. he was the undisputed best player in the sport for over a decade. now, it's a flavor-of-the-week thing. from one very important tournament to the next, a recognizable name leaps to the forefront of everyone's mind..........only to be supplanted by another. there are a number of highly talented, upper echelon players that golf fans are gravitating toward..............but make no mistake, the next Tiger Woods is not walking through that door.

and never will.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    The course was tricked up for very low scores to draw in a TV audience. Not taking anything away from his score but the rough was non existent. Fairways were rolled for maximum bounce and roll. Pins were positioned on flat spots and speed a comfortable 7-8. The players now drive 350 yards. Driver, wedge. For the Pros this weekend was putt-putt.

Yet still, none of the rest of the field could close within more than a dozen strokes. It was a remarkable show of domination, regardless of course conditions.

If you wanted to watch top pros struggle, the women's British Open was awesome, especially Thursday and Friday with some weather added in. I think there were a total of two rounds in the 60s those two days on a par 71, with +9 good enough to make the cut, before the weather turned nice for the weekend. Royal Troon bared it's fangs with +2 still getting in the top 10.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never understood the game.

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    I never understood the game.

It's pretty simple, just keep hitting the ball closer and closer to the hole until it goes in.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil shot a 61 yesterday (on a par 72 course?).

Keep that up for a four round tournament and 44 under par would be very impressive.

I seem to recall that the lowest score for a round on a par 72 course was (is?) a 59, 13 under par.

• Options

its the lack of fans , less choking

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    its the lack of fans , less choking

That could have been in play for Morikawa's win at the major a couple weeks ago or Scheffler's 59 on Friday, but I would guess most of the vets would play better with the crowds. DJ is unflappable either way, you could never tell from his reactions whether he's shooting a 60 or an 80.

• Options

i was thinking more of players missing putts with crowds .

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Don't care how easy they made the course. No one was within 10 shots of him. Quite a special 4 days, to be able to beat a field of professionals by that much. Congrats Dustin.