Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking for Advice on Submission

Hi All,

I have only submitted cards for grading twice - once on a collector's club membership and once in a group sub. Based on how prices on some stuff have gone crazy, I'm contemplating sending in some cards but was hoping for some advice on submissions at different pricing levels.

Here is what I'm wrestling with. I have picked out six 1996-97 Topps Kobe rookies to send in. I feel four of them have a legitimate shot at a 10, while the other two have a shot at a 9. Currently, 10's are going for around $5K, while 9's are going for about $1K. Based on declared value, it would seem as though I should submit the four potential 10's under super express level at $200 per card. However, if any of those come back 9's, then I could have submitted them under regular level at $50 per card, basically overpaying $150 per card grading.

I should add that I'm not in a hurry to sell anything - I basically want to send in some cards to avoid having to pay higher grading prices down the road.

Given this scenario, would you just submit all of these under the regular level and if I happen to get a 10, PSA will up charge the fee? Or, would you send the four potential 10's under a higher level, which is representing that you think they will grade higher (which maybe will be taken under consideration when grading occurs), but risking overpaying for the grading?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks, in advance, for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit under express at $75 per card. Super fast turn around time and appropriate if all are at least 9 worthy. In the event you get a 10 they might up charge you and then you only pay for that if you have good fortune. I had cards done in five business days recently and were logged in two. Make sure you mark the outside of the box. Worth the price!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Listen to DPeck. Never assume 10. They’ll call you if they want more money - and that’ll be a good thing.

• Options

To piggyback on this question . . . Do you think graders take into consideration the level you submit under. Example . . . If you have a borderline 8 or 9 ‘86 fleer MJ and submit at super express with a max value of $4999 do you think that makes a difference in whether you get the 8 or the 9 (which would be closer to 10k)?

• Options

I don’t. I just subbed two PSA 9 1982 Wrestling All Stars Ric Flair’s under express. This is value up to $2,500. SMR has Flair at $2,500 in a 10. Last sale is in the $6,500 range. There would have been no reason based on the question not to award a 10.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 1:59PM

It 100% absolutely positively guaranteed does not influence the grade.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2020 2:07PM

A lot of people complain that their pricing model encourages them to award higher grades. Speak to submitters and you will quickly realize they are not awarding an excessive amount of high grades and charging submitters more. I would personally love to get an email that says David we are charging your credit card more because you just nailed a monster card. My neighbor might make a noise complaint from my screaming Wooooooooo at the top of my lungs. Haha.

Honestly I am hearing lots of the opposite and people not being thrilled with their results. You will then get the chorus of people saying they want you to submit again. Well dumb ass they would make more money by awarding the higher grade and charging more than having you re submit because the vast majority never re submit the cards.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Great. Thank you guys very much for the feedback. I will definitely proceed accordingly.

Now, the next question that has been on my mind - should I use USPS, or FedEx to ship? I have some reservations about the reliability of USPS lately, but not sure if anyone shares my sentiment. In an environment where drop offs are not possible, what route do most folks feel comfortable with?

Thanks again!

• Options

Ship USPS overnight.

I used to insure my raw cards. Bad idea. They won’t cover them.

Spend the money on speed and safety.

Same price never an issue.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    Ship USPS overnight.

Cool. So, you use one of their Priority Mail Express boxes to package it up and send off?

• Options

@lahmejoon said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    Ship USPS overnight.

Cool. So, you use one of their Priority Mail Express boxes to package it up and send off?

Yes. I do some serious wrapping. I call it the cardboard sandwich and I do triple cardboard on most and then wrap with a huge amount of bubble wrap and then put in bags from Target and then put tissue if need be in to keep it from moving. You can never over protect your cards. Overnight from Florida runs you like $55+ and you can spend that easily on priority insured where you waste your money because they won't pay you and it takes two to three business days. I have never heard once of someone having their overnight packages lost and so you go that route. You get a priority medium box and an express mailing label and load your babies up and then later the next day go to PSA's track my package and you will see it was delivered and you just sit back and wait. In your case write express on every side of the box so there is no confusion and it will log fast.

Good luck on your Kobe's!

You could in theory use the smaller box but the chances of it getting crushed go up so I would use the medium box and just load it up with stuff to keep them safe and sleep easy.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@lahmejoon said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    Ship USPS overnight.

Yes. I do some serious wrapping. I call it the cardboard sandwich and I do triple cardboard on most and then wrap with a huge amount of bubble wrap and then put in bags from Target and then put tissue if need be in to keep it from moving. You can never over protect your cards. Overnight from Florida runs you like $55+ and you can spend that easily on priority insured where you waste your money because they won't pay you and it takes two to three business days. I have never heard once of someone having their overnight packages lost and so you go that route. You get a priority medium box and an express mailing label and load your babies up and then later the next day go to PSA's track my package and you will see it was delivered and you just sit back and wait. In your case write express on every side of the box so there is no confusion and it will log fast.

Good luck on your Kobe's!

You could in theory use the smaller box but the chances of it getting crushed go up so I would use the medium box and just load it up with stuff to keep them safe and sleep easy.

Awesome! I appreciate the help! The one good thing is that I'm only 220 miles away from Orange County, so it doesn't have far to go. I definitely plan on packaging them up pretty well. I eventually have to do the same with the various packs I've accumulated - I just get a little apprehensive about sending expensive stuff through the mail and have considered splitting up pack submissions.

• Options

If you have time to kill call PSA and see if you can drop them off if you are worried. Might be a fun road trip. I know nothing about CA so just a guess.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    If you have time to kill call PSA and see if you can drop them off if you are worried. Might be a fun road trip. I know nothing about CA so just a guess.

LOL, I actually just called them up yesterday - they said they do not accept drop offs. I was totally planning a road trip to drop off, but I was disappointed to find out I couldn't do that.

• Options

Hi,

I haven’t submitted cards to PSA in 20+ years so reading this thread has been helpful. Can I submit vintage and modern cards on the same submission form for Economy Service?

Thanks!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kogata said:
    Hi,

I haven’t submitted cards to PSA in 20+ years so reading this thread has been helpful. Can I submit vintage and modern cards on the same submission form for Economy Service?

Thanks!

Depends on your definition of modern and vintage.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Hi,

I have 2 1962 Bell Brands Koufax cards and a 1959 Mantle. They are low grade, 4’s? I also have about 20 1986 Fleer basketball cards and stickers. No Jordans, but the other stars that should be 7’s +.

I figured that I should submit them using the Economy Service since the declared value will be over $99.00 (hopefully). I should be able to submit these on the same Economy submission form, correct?

Thanks!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you should be fine.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Thanks! I appreciate the info.