Home Sports Talk

Athlete superstitions

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all know some athletes have superstitions, so let's just have a look at this, shall we.

Black cats - Bad luck legends.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian Urlacher had to eat chocolate chip cookies before every game or things might not go good.

edited August 22, 2020 5:04AM

Wayne Gretzky had a superstition of drinking Diet Coke, Gatorade, and ice water before the start of every period.

edited August 22, 2020 5:07AM

Stop miss! Don't walk under that ladder! They'll be consequences and repercussions if you do!!

During the 2008 season, Jason Giambi had a superstition involving a mustache. He had grown a mustache and he started hitting better with the mustache. So he kept the mustache because he believed it brought him good luck at the plate. It became a huge sensation and his teammates and Yankee fans got in on the fun.

Pitcher Steve Kline had a superstition of never changing his hat. He wore the same hat every game, and it was filthy, sweaty, dirty, stinky, and quite disgusting.

Sidney Crosby.

edited August 22, 2020 6:03AM

Don't step on that crack you fool, You'll break your mamas back!!

edited August 22, 2020 6:12AM

Mark "the bird" Fidrych used to talk to the baseball during games. He would talk to the ball and tell it where to go to get the batter out. He would also play with the dirt on the mound.

Dwight Howard always takes a number 2 dong on the toilet before every game. He says if he doesn't take a dong before every game, he doesn't feel right.

Pitcher Turk Wendell would never step on the foul line and if he had to, he would take a flying leap to avoid it.

Another Jason Giambi classic.

Jason Giambi used to wear a lucky gold thong that would help him break out of hitting slumps.

@perkdog, I had forgotten about Nomar and his batting ritual. That is insane!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

It was honestly annoying after awhile

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

It was honestly annoying after awhile

I remember watching him do that and thinking the same thing. He did it over and over, it got old watching him do that. I remember thinking, just step into the box and hit!

Michael Jordan always wore a pair of UNC shorts under his Bulls shorts.

Baseball player Kevin Rhomberg had a superstition about touching. If someone touched him, he had to touch them back. Sometimes his teammates would touch him and then run away just to screw with him, and he would spend hours trying to find them so he could touch them back. If he couldn't find them, he would leave them a letter in the lockerrom and the letter would say "this constitutes a touch".

NCAA mens basketball coach Jerry Tarkanian had to chew on a towel during a game.

edited August 22, 2020 9:37AM

Mike Bibby used to pick his fingernails during timeouts and then he actually switched to clipping his fingernails during timeouts.

edited August 22, 2020 9:48AM

Larry Walker had an obsession with the number 3. He wore number 33 his entire career, he will only wake up at 33 past the hour, he even got married on November 3rd at 3:33 p.m. He also reportedly asked the phone company to give him a phone number with as many 3's as possible in it.

Richie Ashburn always slept with his bats. No, not that kind of sleeping with, get your mind out of the gutter!!

Yeah.

Enough said.

edited August 22, 2020 10:12AM

Moises Alou took a leak on his hands before every game.

College football coach Les Miles used to eat field grass to "become one with the field".

Defensive tackle John Henderson has to be slapped hard across the face before every game.

https://youtu.be/ruh4_xud37c

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these are insane!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Baseball player Kevin Rhomberg had a superstition about touching. If someone touched him, he had to touch them back. Sometimes his teammates would touch him and then run away just to screw with him, and he would spend hours trying to find them so he could touch them back. If he couldn't find them, he would leave them a letter in the lockerrom and the letter would say "this constitutes a touch".

And that explains why I've never heard of him. Too busy being an idiot instead
    of working on his baseball skills.

Yes these are insane, and we're talking about grown damn men!!😂😂😂😂

edited August 22, 2020 12:39PM

NHL Goal keeper Patrick Roy used to talk to the goal posts to let them know that he was fond of them and wanted to be friends with them, hoping they would help him keep the pucks out of the net.

edited August 22, 2020 2:27PM

Pitcher Jim Palmer had a pregame ritual of eating pancakes!!

I like it, as a matter of fact, because of this I'm in the mood for a shortstack now!

I just added pancake mix, butter, and syrup to the grocery list for tomorrow!!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

In all seriousness, this is sadly a mental disorder and can have horrific consequences on a life.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

In all seriousness, this is sadly a mental disorder and can have horrific consequences on a life.

I was thinking the same thing, It's insane to live like that. I couldn't imagine being Nomar Garciaparra and thinking you HAVE to do that ritual or something bad will happen. It's crazy.

edited August 22, 2020 6:33PM

Don't talk to the pitcher when he has a no hitter going late in the game. This is a superstition that a lot of teams have done over the years. They believe that if they talk to the pitcher, it will jinx him. It happened to Don Larsen in the 1956 World Series. The team left him alone in the dugout and no one would speak to him. Don later said "I've never felt lonelier in my life."

Not sorry. Reese's.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    College football coach Les Miles used to eat field grass to "become one with the field".

What about artificial turf?