Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

HLRC at the 2021 NYINC ?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw his name in the dealer roster 🤓

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Harry a lot, but I’ve Never seen a foreign coin on his site or at his table.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some prior attendees seem to be missing. And then there’s this new character, Daniel Whyman. I thought he was on PPI’s watchlist?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 5:50AM

@pruebas said:
    Some prior attendees seem to be missing. And then there’s this new character, Daniel Whyman. I thought he was on PPI’s watchlist?

Yeah he is a friend of mine ....maybe Harry will dive into the darkside won't that be nice?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Yeah he is a friend of mine ....maybe Harry will dive into the darkside won't that be nice?

Funny, at first I thought you meant that Dan was a friend of yours, but obviously I know that he’s your worst enemy! 😉

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Not really. While I don't know him, it's doubtful he has any knowledge or experience in
    this area, so would just be another cog in the numismatic wheel, inflating prices by buying
    and selling among the same venues as most of us already know without adding anything
    in the way of knowledge to the field.

Do we really need another one of those outfits?

My (perhaps controversial and definitely non-insider) take on this is. Possibly HLRC, just like CRO, Northeast, Heritage, and many other firms, has finally seen the unmistakable evidence that there isn't much "meat" left in the US coins area of the market. (Apologies to our vegetarian friends, of whom I was once a part.) And what meat is left is being split by too many jackals vying for a bite. In other words, it's too cutthroat for not enough reward.

The spreads are much better and the pickin's are easier in world coins, so that is where they go to get a better meal. >:) But one needs knowledge to thrive in that area. I would say some have done a better job at adding value than others.

@MrEureka said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Funny, at first I thought you meant that Dan was a friend of yours, but obviously I know that he’s your worst enemy! 😉

:o

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

Not really. While I don't know him, it's doubtful he has any knowledge or experience in
    this area, so would just be another cog in the numismatic wheel, inflating prices by buying
    and selling among the same venues as most of us already know without adding anything
    in the way of knowledge to the field.

Do we really need another one of those outfits?

Foreign coins offer opportunities

Maybe will see that at the show and start to inventory some darkside coins

Cannot hurt