Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Aaron Judge & Cody Bellinger RCs - Best 2017 Topps Box to Break?

I'm thinking of grabbing some key cards for these two young mashers, as their value seems likely to rise.

Judge's 2013 Bowman Chrome seems to be his most popular RC, but his 2017 cards have some nice value as well. The fact that Bellinger's RC is also from 2017 has me thinking of grabbing a box of 2017 Topps and trying to score some key cards for these two.

My dilemma is which 2017 Topps box in particular to target? The base 2017 Topps only has the Judge (Catching) RC and no Bellinger, so that's out.

The 2017 Topps Update has a Judge RD (Rookie Debut) of him batting and a Bellinger RC (Batting).

The 2017 Topps Chrome has the Judge (Catching) RC and also a Bellinger (Fielding) RC which is not in the base set. There are 200 cards in the set. Chrome cards have great eye appeal and always do well when the time comes to sell.

Then there is the 2017 Topps Chrome Update which has the Judge RD (Batting) and the Bellinger RC (Batting) in attractive Chrome. There are only 100 cards in this set so that increases the odds of getting more Judges and Bellingers. The box is pricey though.

From an investment perspective, what are everyone's thoughts on buying/breaking one of the abovementioned sets as well as the future trajectory of these players RCs in those sets?

I mostly collect vintage cards from the 80s when there was just that one indisputable and instantly recognizable rookie card so sorting through all of the multiple editions and parallels of modern sets can be a challenge.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Update you have a chance to get the sp rcs of Judge as well. Those SPs were more plentiful in 2017 Update than any other release. Update is the way to go

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on going the Topps update route. BUying or breaking is the old dilemma. I always think of Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry saying "You have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? lol. I'm not a lucky person, so I usually just buy the rookies that I want, and leave the ripping to the lucky folks.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

@76collector said:
    I agree on going the Topps update route. BUying or breaking is the old dilemma. I always think of Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry saying "You have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? lol. I'm not a lucky person, so I usually just buy the rookies that I want, and leave the ripping to the lucky folks.

I just can't resist the ripping.

• Options
    80sForever80sForever Posts: 33
    edited August 19, 2020 12:19AM

@rexvos said:
    With Update you have a chance to get the sp rcs of Judge as well. Those SPs were more plentiful in 2017 Update than any other release. Update is the way to go

Update certainly seems the way to go. I like the Chrome Update option as the base checklist of 100 cards means a higher proportion of Judges and Bellingers likely when breaking the box. Thanks!

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I am a Dodger fan but Bellinger has a lot of question marks. Was watching a game the other night and he entered hitting .091, then hit 2 homers that game. Currently at .175.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    I am a Dodger fan but Bellinger has a lot of question marks. Was watching a game the other night and he entered hitting .091, then hit 2 homers that game. Currently at .175.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Bellinger's abilities. Great eye, sweet swing...he will be just fine.

• Options

@yankeeno7 said:

@ElvisP said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about Bellinger's abilities. Great eye, sweet swing...he will be just fine.

Only a dodgers fan would be concerned. All of us BB fans know he’ll be just fine. I say the same things about my Braves whenever Swanson, Acuna, or whoever starts getting hot or cold. The lovely fun of being a fan!

• Options

@yankeeno7 said:

@ElvisP said:

I'm rooting for him (and Judge) despite being a Blue Jays fan.

I missed out on grabbing Trout's 2011 Topps Update RC so I'm hoping that the sky is the limit for both of these guys.

Not to sound too investment-oriented, because I also earnestly think both Judge and Bellinger have a quiet, determined approach to the game that I really like and I want to see them continue to do well.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be concerned with Judge and his injuries.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

And his age and size as well. If he can’t stay healthy at 28, and is carrying around 265 into his 30s, it is going to be partial seasons year after year.

Dude was just smashing it this year but 17 games in on the DL again.

• Options
    KingBenKingBen Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2020 4:56PM

Aaron Judge 2017 Bowman Chrome RC 💪🏼

No autographs with this one, so what you see is what you get... no autograph version to put the “base” to shame, or even the parallels. As with regular Bowman and Topps Chrome that have autographs. Not just that, but the picture on the Bowman Chrome is killer!!! To me, it’s equivalent to say a Mike Trout Topps Update RC, in turns of beauty. I was never a college card fan, so I stay away from everything pre rookie year - 2017.

Or you can go for his 2020 Topps 206 RC.... 😉 first time having this card, and may or may not be the last. At least in his playing days...

COLLECTING: 2020 Topps 206 ⚾️

facebook.com/groups/Topps206

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

• Options
    edited August 21, 2020 7:54PM

@KingBen said:
    Aaron Judge 2017 Bowman Chrome RC 💪🏼

No autographs with this one, so what you see is what you get... no autograph version to put the “base” to shame, or even the parallels. As with regular Bowman and Topps Chrome that have autographs. Not just that, but the picture on the Bowman Chrome is killer!!! To me, it’s equivalent to say a Mike Trout Topps Update RC, in turns of beauty. I was never a college card fan, so I stay away from everything pre rookie year - 2017.

Or you can go for his 2020 Topps 206 RC.... 😉 first time having this card, and may or may not be the last. At least in his playing days...

Thanks! I will look into these.

I took the plunge and bought a 2017 Topps Update Hobby Box. I really liked the fact I could get Bellinger's RC and Judge's RD in the same box. Thing is of course, the 2017 Judge RD isn't his top card, but it is still a nice card. Topps, unsurprisingly, seems to be very clever in spreading out the key RCs in each set (e.g. Judge's RC is in Topps 2017 Series 1).

It would have been too good to be true if both of their flagship RCs were available in the same box. Though it also would have driven the box cost up I suppose.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2020 7:53PM

@KingBen said:
    I was never a college card fan, so I stay away from everything pre rookie year - 2017.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

If they ain't wearing their first pro uniform, I look elsewhere.