In Process: 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. PSA Grade Run

2»

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2023 8:35PM

@daltex said:
    @NGS428 What makes this a 2?

That black mark on the front, bottom left is in the card, looks like a soft bottom left corner. Must be some surface issues too, I have to get a closer look at it. Before I bought it I thought it had a tear in the left edge center.. once I got it in hand that issue was not there…

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Added the elusive PSA 1!

Dam good looking PSA 1

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 10:29PM

Had to laugh a bit when I saw this closing the other night and the price was up there. Oh the stuff we will do for the collection!

Nice add to the run and congrats, all kidding aside, Nic!

I am doing the same type of run for a 1977 Topps card (half grades included but no "auth"), and I am just 6 cards short. Your run of UD Griffeys was partial inspiration for me to start my run attempt, so I am rooting for you to finish it up (the qualifier grades might be pushing it, though). And, yes, half grades are a bitch.

Good luck!

• Options

@CW said:
    Had to laugh a bit when I saw this closing the other night and the price was up there. Oh the stuff we will do for the collection!

Nice add to the run and congrats, all kidding aside, Nic!

I am doing the same type of run for a 1977 Topps card (half grades included but no "auth"), and I am just 6 cards short. Your run of UD Griffeys was partial inspiration for me to start my run attempt, so I am rooting for you to finish it up (the qualifier grades might be pushing it, though). And, yes, half grades are a bitch.

Good luck!

This one actually ended during the day last week. But yes there was one that ended a few nights ago. It went for double of this one. And other recent comps were double that ($400 range). Yeah, we are some crazy collectors sometimes!

I am not really going for the qualifiers, but grab them if the price is right.

Good luck on your 1977 Topps card run!!

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I just scrolled through the
    Photos.

They all look the same grade
    To me for some reason.

• Options

@coinspacks said:
    Photos.

To me for some reason.

@coinspacks said:
    Photos.

To me for some reason.

For the 1, the scan is a bit deceptive, it has 2 bent corners, hologram is scuffed, another bad scuff on the back. One corner is touched pretty good. A blue PD in the grass and the pinhole.

But yes, beyond that card, there must be surface issues, etc., nothing too glaring.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work! I think we sort of discussed this at least a couple years back when I posted my 62 Topps Uecker rookie grade run. You were still either contemplating or had just started.
    Sure doesn't matter what the card you do this with, it's difficult to get a complete grade run.
    I finally found my PSA 1.5 for my Uecker run. There was an 8.5 that sold on Ebay recently but the price went too high...over $4k, I think. I haven't seen a 9 in years. So for myself, my run will stop at 1-8 plus I have an auto and blank back. But I had never thought of just an authentic but I don't think I've seen one. I'll have to keep an eye out.

You have really taken your to another level, lol! Congrats!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 1:12PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Nice work! I think we sort of discussed this at least a couple years back when I posted my 62 Topps Uecker rookie grade run. You were still either contemplating or had just started.
    Sure doesn't matter what the card you do this with, it's difficult to get a complete grade run.
    I finally found my PSA 1.5 for my Uecker run. There was an 8.5 that sold on Ebay recently but the price went too high...over $4k, I think. I haven't seen a 9 in years. So for myself, my run will stop at 1-8 plus I have an auto and blank back. But I had never thought of just an authentic but I don't think I've seen one. I'll have to keep an eye out.

I was the winning bidder on the '62 Uecker RC PSA-8.5. I have consigned it to REA...and the card will be in their Summer Auction 2024.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

An 8.5 for over $4k, wow! Nothing nearly that expensive here. The 10 is $2k now and then $400 to $500 for a few of the lower grades. I luckily found some deals along the way and got in early. Sure helped!!

Good luck on your continued pursuit! I have to get a Uecker rookie at some point! Being a Brewers fan and all….

• Options
    edited April 23, 2024 1:07PM

A PSA-9 Uecker RC has sold for 5-figures...$18,000+!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2024 1:05PM

Here is my 8.5:

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    Here is my 8.5:

I hate you! But that's only because I'm jealous, lol.
    I really wasn't sure what to expect when the 8.5 hit Ebay. I was in at the $2-3k range but then it just kept going and going. I don't think the price was bad, I just didn't know where it would end.

I know Levi at 707 had an 8.5. He showed it too me when I bought my 7.5 from him but he would not sell the 8.5. His reasoning...."where will I ever find another?".

• Options
    edited April 23, 2024 1:41PM

Well...an 8.5 will be available this Summer in REA. Bid early...and bid often!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 252 ✭✭✭

That 62 Ueck is very nice. But it’s missing an auto.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is so cool! I'm doing the same thing with Roger Staubach's rookie. I had originally planned on stopping at PSA 9 , a PSA 9 is way out of my price range, but now that I'm down to only needing 1 card (7.5), I'm contemplating adding the 8.5 as well.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    This is so cool! I'm doing the same thing with Roger Staubach's rookie. I had originally planned on stopping at PSA 9 , a PSA 9 is way out of my price range, but now that I'm down to only needing 1 card (7.5), I'm contemplating adding the 8.5 as well.

Nice! Did you do all the half grades other than the ones mentioned?

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

Nice! Did you do all the half grades other than the ones mentioned?

I did all the half grades and an authentic. The Staubach card is also very commonly miscut so i did one of those because it was cheap and fun.

Because I'm a huge Staubach fan I've also added autographed versions with different inscriptions.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@bgr said:
    That 62 Ueck is very nice. But it’s missing an auto.

That's too nice for an auto.

Autos on his rookie cards are pretty tough. There is one on Ebay now but over $3k. The auto I have is pen and I don't like it that much.