Home Precious Metals

Ebay Mastercard $150 statement credit if you spend $500

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone Anyone ? Bueller?

You spend $500 and they kick back 150 .

I was going to apply but I froze my credit reports at all 3 bureaus a few years ago and it probably wont work , I'll just a get a "sorry to inform you" letter

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

no thanks.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Well, that would pay the flipping taxes on a 1 ounce gold Eagle I’m looking at.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno.... what other benefits does the ebay mastercard provide? I've always ignored their offers.... .......just like with the offer to opt into managed payments......

----- kj
  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have one, you also get just over 3 percent cash back once you spend 1,000 dollars, i am happy with it

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass. I prefer to keep some sort of distance with them, jmo

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so.

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

IF you are looking for a new credit card, I would recommend the Chase Ultimate Freedom. $200 sign up bonus and 1.5% cash back on everything - nothing to activate and unlimited. Also can redeem points in any denomination for cash - not just a statement credit.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2020 6:29PM

It's just another card to add to your stacking.

I don't need another card and the offer isnt that tempting.

Wells fargo was offering I think $300/ $400 if you spent $1500.
    1.5% back on everything and 5% back on promotional purchases.

I snagged the wells fargo card when my cats were in and out of the vets office.
    Now it sits in the safe and doesn't come out unless they have a 5% cash back rewards promotion.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to keep the number of credit cards I have to the bare minimum. $150 is chump change for opening a new line of credit IMO and will affect your credit score. It will be another account you have to keep an eye on as well...

Get a Citi double cash like I do and get 2% cash back on everything you buy...and they end up paying you for their line of credit as long as you pay off the card at the end of each month. I've been given thousands of dollars in cash back over the past few years. Any bill (cable, phones, food, gas, insurance etc) that can go on it does and gets immediately paid off.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

YUP.
    The right way to use any credit card is use their money for 28ish days and pay it off at the end of the billing cycle.
    All while your money sits someplace else making what it can in interest.
    I dont use a debt card or have a CC with an annual fee.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i can't get it anyway with my frozen credit reports I was just curious if anyone had and found bullion was excluded or some other nonsense .

The ebay bucks program is dead right? 5% offers are all I see but every item seems to have sales tax on it so why bother?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020 3:41PM

all ebay bucks is good for these days is the old fashioned way to play.

if you're going to buy it on ebay anyway save the spend for the day the bucks deal arrives. (lately for me it has been coincidental :| )

gone are the days of old gold deals. :'(

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    i can't get it anyway with my frozen credit reports I was just curious if anyone had and found bullion was excluded or some other nonsense .

The ebay bucks program is dead right? 5% offers are all I see but every item seems to have sales tax on it so why bother?

You can unfreeze your reports for a few days, long enough for them to check, then they automatically re-freeze.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    i have one, you also get just over 3 percent cash back once you spend 1,000 dollars, i am happy with it

3% back on everything or just ebay purchases? My current card gives 3% first year, and 2.5% after that. no other fees.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

@coinpalice said:

3% back on everything or just ebay purchases? My current card gives 3% first year, and 2.5% after that. no other fees.

just over 3 percent just on e bay purchases, 1 percent on everything else

@Wingsrule said:

@bronco2078 said:

You can unfreeze your reports for a few days, long enough for them to check, then they automatically re-freeze.

its already saved me from having credit cards opened in my name 3 separate times

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 2:20PM

@taxmad said:
    IF you are looking for a new credit card, I would recommend the Chase Ultimate Freedom. $200 sign up bonus and 1.5% cash back on everything - nothing to activate and unlimited. Also can redeem points in any denomination for cash - not just a statement credit.

With my Bank of America cards I can roll my reward points into my Merrill Lynch brokerage account/s. Using it to save for my grandson's college.

@Wingsrule said:

@bronco2078 said:

Or you can do it while you're on the phone with them and re-freeze when done. Took 5 minutes. I would not un-freeze and re-freeze anything requiring a fee tho.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@taxmad said:

With my Bank of America cards I can roll my reward points into my Merrill Lynch brokerage account/s. Using it to save for my grandson's college.

Do they give you a bonus for that? Have you set up a 529 account for him?

@taxmad said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@taxmad said:

At one point they matched 10% of the amount swept in, but not anymore. Right now it's just my personal brokerage account. We have custodial accounts for our granddaughters when Sharebuilder was in business so we may do the same for him.

@BAJJERFAN said:

@taxmad said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@taxmad said:

At one point they matched 10% of the amount swept in, but not anymore. Right now it's just my personal brokerage account. We have custodial accounts for our granddaughters when Sharebuilder was in business so we may do the same for him.

529's are not a bad plan. Normally a State plan allows for a deduction from income tax. Earnings for qualified expenses are tax-free. You control it - your grandson is simply the beneficiary, but that can be changed penalty free.

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I have that card. I tied it to my paypal account to make purchases on eBay and earn that 3%. There is no annual fee, so it's quite simple and straightforward. I use the card often enough that it won't get cancelled for lack of use. A few purchases a year on eBay is really all that is needed. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve for all other things (yes, this has an annual fee, but it's great for travelers).

You cannot just have one credit card, you always need spares in case one gets lost or damaged or simply has a hiccup where it gets declined or what have you. I respect how some decide not to complicate their life by keeping their credit card accounts to a small number so that they do not have to keep track of so many. Applying for a new card would trigger a credit inquiry that probably would knock three points off your credit score, but it does eventually get replenished. Sure, it's something to think about, but nothing really to worry about.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:
    Well, that would pay the flipping taxes on a 1 ounce gold Eagle I’m looking at.

A gold eagle is over $1500, which means it is not subject to state sales tax. This is the law here in California, not sure what state you are in.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

@bronco2078 said:
    Anyone Anyone ? Bueller?

You spend $500 and they kick back 150 .

I was going to apply but I froze my credit reports at all 3 bureaus a few years ago and it probably wont work , I'll just a get a "sorry to inform you" letter

Bank of America has a similar deal but you get $200 back instead of $150.

@taxmad said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@taxmad said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@taxmad said:

529's are not a bad plan. Normally a State plan allows for a deduction from income tax. Earnings for qualified expenses are tax-free. You control it - your grandson is simply the beneficiary, but that can be changed penalty free.

I'm not all that enamored with their investment choices.

college is a bad investment so 529's kinda have to be as well :D

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2020 8:09AM

Life is simple. I use Paypal master for 2% cash back on everything other than grocery. And Chase freedom unlimited 1.5% cash back with a 5% bonus on grocery for an entire year. With Chase freedom $200 sign on bonus and 5% grocery, a normal household could save over $1000 on the first year?