Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

North Carolina 1778/1780 $50 note. Friedberg.NC-190c

Does anyone own or have a photo of a North Carolina $50 note with August 8, 1778 on the obverse and 1780 on the reverse, with the motto PERSECUTION THE RUIN OF EMPIRES. This is Friedberg.NC-190c. It's extremely rare, as is the NC-190a and NC-190b, so wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes from this plea. I'm not asking to publish it or publicize it in any way. I just need to see one. Thank you in advance.

Here's a photo of Friedberg.NC-190a with INDEPENDENCE as the motto for comparison.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
American Numismatic Society
New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool!

• Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 8:34PM

error

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beryl said:
    error

The note is an error?

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 9:32PM

sorry, my error - I had thought a note had the 1780 when in fact it did not.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2020 10:12PM

@beryl said:
    sorry, my error - I had thought a note had the 1780 when in fact it did not.

Ah. Got it.
    Yes, the August 1778 obverse with a 1778 reverse is fairly common.
    Keep an eye out for the 1780 reverse. It would be well-worth it!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps more mule than error.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@sellitstore said:
    Perhaps more mule than error.

Neither, really. Due to a smallpox epidemic, officials in North Carolina were unable to fulfill the authorized number of bills outlined in the August 8, 1778 act. When things settled in 1780, they were able to continue making the notes. So the August 8, 1778 authorization date and the printed in 1780 date are both correct and completely intentional.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City