Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Awards Deadline Extended to Noon 7/1/02

Due to a few database errors involving PCGS certification numbers that were encountered this weekend, we are extending the 2002 Set Registry Awards deadline to Monday, July 1, 12:00 pm PST. This will give PCGS tech support time to get these problems resolved and give everyone a fair chance.

As a reminder, winners will be announced the week of July 8th. Thank you!
BJ Searls
bsearls@collectors.com
Set Registry & Special Projects Director
PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com

Comments

• Options
    Lets see, how long have people had to register sets? I wonder what special grades are being given at the last minute!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    My mother told me not to make a comment if you cant make a nice comment.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for a dozen for so PR70DCAMs to come in tomorrow... (In my dreams)image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Actually. I have a couple of orders overdue... Works for me...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Its just that you could have almost predicted this!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Everyone had almost 3 months notice. I think that was plenty of time.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill,

Three month's notice does not make a difference. If you bought an upgrade on Friday and it didn't go in, you'd be upset too.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Rules are rules, everyone knew this contested ended June 30th three months ago.... I am not sure why people waited until the last freakin minute... there is no benefit to waiting until the last minute, unless someone with a little pull decided to b1tch and complain about how they didnt get their coins in the mail yet..

Everyone knew that the system was upgraded not too long ago, why take a chance with how off-ie / on-ie the system has been? Just upgrade your set if you want to compete and be done with it.

Anyhow, my own opinion.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    If I saved up three months for a specific coin and got it delivered yesterday, and PCGS's database didn't have the certificate, I would be hacked. Doesn't matter if it was a 1796 $2.50 in AU or a 1964 Kennedy in MS-65. I would want that coin in my set.
    Keith ™

• Options
    I'm sorry but I just cant see extending the contest... All the rules were public knowledge, the contest deadlines were public knowledge, and it was NO big secret that the database has been shakey lately. There are plenty of other people who got all they coins they needed in time... I paid my 50$ for expedited grading to get all my coins on time....

As a side note, I just received a couple SMS Nickels in the mail Saturday the 29th for my reg set, that have new PCGS inserts and must have been graded fairly recently.. they were added to the registry with no problems at all..... so is this delay really a database issue? we will never know.

michelle
  • Options
    Michelle,

There is an entire series of coins with certificate numbers starting at 500xxxxx that don't work in the system. There was a major auction Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with some real rarities. So if someone bought a coin that cost them $50K and hasn't been on sale in three years, think they'd want the problem fixed?
    Keith ™

• Options
    my point is not how much someone might pay for a coin... my main point is that everyone knew when the contest ended. it was no secret. If someone wants to pay 50k for a coin 2 days before the contest ends and take a chance that the database is not working well (which everyone was fully aware of) then take a chance... but if the database doesnt work, that does not make THAT person more important then me or you if we paid 200$ for our coin.

If i called PCGS up and said, "hey PCGS hold the contest up, i just bought this MS70 American Eagle i have been looking for, for the last 2 weeks, but the reg number doesnt seem to work", PCGS would laugh in my face, and tell me that I should have been aware of the contest rules.

Besides that, who is even working at PCGS on Sunday? I have never been able to call anyone there on the weekend... so how in the world would this problem been discovered on a weekend? A big buyer/collector is no more important then a smaller collector... and I am sorry but i still believe that the rules were made 3 months ago and i am sure MANY people made arrangements to follow the rules.

my 5$ olympic commem pcgs 5014XXX ms70 was entered in the database on saturday night just fine.

I'm not trying to be a b1tch, i'm just darn stubborn.. sorry keithdagen
  • Options
    Actually, I usually get a response from BJ when I e-mail her on a Saturday.

It's not a matter of not following the rules, it's a technical issue with PCGS. And honestly, if my Half Dime that I bought wouldn't go in the Registry (I got it in the mail on Saturday and paid about $125 for it), I'd gripe to. I've looked for three months for the coin in that grade and it wasn't easy to find.
    Keith ™

• Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Actually Michelle, I entered a number of coins last MONDAY, and 2 of them registered wrong due to wrong info in their database, as of this morning, they are still not right. Not that it would make any difference to me as they were some of them $50 or $100 coins, nothing spectacular, but as long as PCGS's system isn't allowing CORRECT upgrades due to errors in info input, what fault of it is the collectors who wants their coins included?? I don't see where it matters much one way or the other, and certainly wouldn't begrudge anybody their fair square entries.imageimage Just my thoughts alsoimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People seem to be collecting for the wrong reasons anymore. Does anyone really think the 12 hour extension will make a difference?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "People are collecting for the wrong reasons." Who determines what the right reasons are?
    I promise I won't attempt to do so for you. I certainly hope no one is arrogant enough to to do so me.

peacockcoins

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill