Home Q & A Forum
Options

Eisenhower dollar md

I've never seen this kind of md before on an Eisenhower dollar. It looks like split plate doubling, which is only on Lincoln cents. Can anyone give me insight into how this happened at the mint? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

ohh

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins Need your help :)

Looks to be possibly someone tried to engrave the devices? Need a expert eye to tell your what happened.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling.

• Options

Yes, I did make note in my original post that its md.
    Just curious how this happened. I've had this coin since it was issued by the mint in 1976.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error-ref.com says Rim-restricted design duplication: This rare form of doubling has to date only been detected on Presidential dollars (Washington to Madison), several 1994 cents, and a 2004 cent. It always occurs on the face struck by the hammer die. After reaching the lowest point of its downstroke, the hammer die bounces up, shifts to one side, and lands lightly on the design rim, leaving a set of raised design elements. It is also sometimes referred to as “one-sided, rim-restricted design duplication”. Good for thought. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD