Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Older PCGS holdered error note value "Misaligned Overprint"

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2020 3:03AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I have a small number of TPG Certified notes, but only a few errors. Notes like this one are hard to place a value due to PCGS not recognizing these older holders, but will regrade it as a crossover, for a fee. Other than previous auction results, which are all over the place, would someone know of a website to get an approx. value for error notes?

Thanking you in advance,

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you good luck with it. It is, in my opinion, an extremely interesting note.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

How can PCGS not recognize the value of a note in a PCGS holder, old or new?

• Options

@air4mdc said:
    How can PCGS not recognize the value of a note in a PCGS holder, old or new?

Looking for PCGS Currency?

Collectors Universe, Inc., parent company of PCGS, operated PCGS Currency from 2005 until 2009 when it sold the banknote grading division to another company and licensed the trademark and brand name for 10 years until January, 2019 when the name and license returned to Collectors Universe. Therefore, notes graded under the PCGS Currency brand are graded as crossovers to ensure they meet the standards of the new PCGS Banknote grading service.

https://www.pcgs.com/banknote

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! I think it's called a shifted third printing. Shouldn't be too hard to find comparables sold recently. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • Options

How does this affect those notes? What would a collector do if he had a lot of these notes? I myself have a few.

• Options

@air4mdc said:
    How does this affect those notes? What would a collector do if he had a lot of these notes? I myself have a few.

That is the reason for this thread.

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry much about the holder as it is primarily the note people are buying and even more so with an error (although grade surely can effect the price).I would add It certainly appears to be graded correctly to me.As to the prices being all over the place....that has often been the case with errors.The note you have may sell for $100 one day and $350 the next.It all depends on who, and how many, happen to be in the market for that particular error.....it is a fairly small to medium size niche.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

In my humble opinion, there is no need to crossover...most collectors are content with pcgs holders since they were accurately graded at the time that pcgs was grading.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

@air4mdc said:

That is the reason for this thread.

I kind of drifted a little here...... Besides auction results there is an error book out there that gives error bill approximates. It’s a nice bill, maybe the 175-250$ value.