Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I Send this to PSA? (‘67 Topps Stargell right out of a cello pack)

Back in about 1990 I purchased a 1967 cello pack at a show outside Boston. This was the nicest card in the pack. I took it by a new grading service at the show and had it slabbed on the spot. It’s my one and only slabbed card. Anyone think it would get an 8 with PSA? I’ve never sent anything to PSA. Thoughts appreciated.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/wa/o0wx8c6vjy78.jpeg
https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/2y/vfmxhhqt3j53.jpeg

Comments

• Options
    Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Looks like a 9 to me!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Card looks great.

Are you going to sell it? Then definitely get it in a PSA holder.

If it's for your personal collection, why bother?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭

How much $$ was the cello at the time?

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it, but not in that holder.

• Options

@nam812 said:

I think that might be one of Alan Hagers first holders. Might be interesting to keep it as is.

Of course, if you want to sell it, NOT in that holder.

You never know, it might be undergraded!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input. I don’t plan to sell so probably won’t have it regraded. If I ever decide to sell though . . ..

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a magnifying glass and look at the corners. If you see fraying on one or two corners, it's likely going to be a PSA 8 at best.

I of course can't speak for this ACU-CARD, but i would suppose that's what they saw when they graded it an 8.

It's not uncommon for that fraying to happen with vintage cello packs over 23 years of time with the plastic rubbing against the corners, particularly if they are tightly wrapped.

In any event, it is a very nice card. :)

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead center, amazing registration and only a very slight rounding to the bottom corners....that is an 8.5 worst case and likely upside to a PSA 9. Great looking card. Sub to PSA for sure. Just crack it first.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    . Just crack it first.

How do I crack it without turning it into a 4? Or worse.

• Options

I downloaded the image and took a closer look at it. I think i see three frayed corners so a 9 just isn't going to happen. I'll stick with my 8 call, but it is a very nice card and could jump to an 8.5

Sounds like you might give it a go and send it to PSA.

Good luck, we'll be rooting for ya. Hope i'm wrong and you get the 9. :)

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I think it is a nice copy. Definitely crack it out though if you are going to send it.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sending it in to sell or to keep? Either way it is a very nice card and will grade somewhere in the 8-9 range. It is a beauty.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@nam812 said:

I think that might be one of Alan Hagers first holders. Might be interesting to keep it as is.

There can't be too many cards left in a Hager holder. If that's one of his pre-PSA originals, I'd almost rather have it in the slab it's in to commemorate the granddaddy of grading.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@nam812 said:

There can't be too many cards left in a Hager holder. If that's one of his pre-PSA originals, I'd almost rather have it in the slab it's in to commemorate the granddaddy of grading.

Yes...and if that's the case, it could make for a very interesting Ebay auction.

Put the slab description in the title area, and in the description place some of Larkin's comments in there, and it you attract two whales who have to have that card in that slab, it could fetch some very good money.

Just put a minimum bid of the approximate selling price as if it was in a PSA 8.5 slab, so you don't get screwed on a low ball winning bid...and if it doesn't sell, then it doesn't sell. Nothing much lost.

If you do it, post the Ebay link here...might be interesting to watch. :)

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 10:08AM

CRACK IT and send it in. No question.
    You may get a premium like others said in its current case. But that will only be because people might think it is a 9. Even if PSA gives it a 8. you will still get the same premium as the ACU case as the same people will still think it is a 9.
    Send it to PSA and you will do the best.

• Options

READ the thread people!

OP says he's not selling.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

That... Is a beautiful card !

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    READ the thread people!

OP said: Thanks for the input. I don’t plan to sell so probably won’t have it regraded. If I ever decide to sell though.

Then you said: Are you going to sell it? Then definitely get it in a PSA holder.

Then OP said: How do I crack it without turning it into a 4? Or worse.

To me it sounded like he may now be on the fence, one way or the other. So why not offer some selling advice, is the way i saw it.

Perhaps the OP just wishes to see what PSA will grade it, and of course what a pleasant surprise it would be if it received a 9.

What hasn't been mentioned is that it also could receive a 7 or 7.5 if all the corners are frayed, or a 5 if there is a wrinkle which perhaps is there but the OP doesn't know what to look for?

As we all know, it is often tough to determine corners from an internet scan on a very nice card such as this, and even tougher to spot a wrinkle. Perhaps the OP could, as previously mentioned, take a magnifying glass and objectively look at the corners, search for any wrinkles, and let us know the findings. Then if it seems like a "lock" that the card is a 9, I'd say that slab value, if there are two whales who collect those slabs and want this card in that slab, the card in an Ebay auction would have a hard time surpassing the value of the card in a PSA 9 slab.

That's my humble opinion, it's up to the OP to make the big executive decision. :)

• Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

There is an absolute blazer of a 67 PSA 8 Pops Stargell on the Bay right now for a BIN of $180.

• Options

@stevek said:

That's my humble opinion, it's up to the OP to make the big executive decision. :)

Thanks Steve K and everyone for the input. I appreciate all of it. I don’t need to sell but I may want to at some point. If I do it would only be because I want to buy another collectible. I’d still be interested in knowing how to crack it out without damaging the card. I probably won’t do it, but I’d like to know how. Also I will try to get closeup shots of the corner for more input.

• Options

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    READ the thread people!

OP said: Thanks for the input. I don’t plan to sell so probably won’t have it regraded. If I ever decide to sell though.

Then you said: Are you going to sell it? Then definitely get it in a PSA holder.

Then OP said: How do I crack it without turning it into a 4? Or worse.

To me it sounded like he may now be on the fence, one way or the other. So why not offer some selling advice, is the way i saw it.

Perhaps the OP just wishes to see what PSA will grade it, and of course what a pleasant surprise it would be if it received a 9.

What hasn't been mentioned is that it also could receive a 7 or 7.5 if all the corners are frayed, or a 5 if there is a wrinkle which perhaps is there but the OP doesn't know what to look for?

As we all know, it is often tough to determine corners from an internet scan on a very nice card such as this, and even tougher to spot a wrinkle. Perhaps the OP could, as previously mentioned, take a magnifying glass and objectively look at the corners, search for any wrinkles, and let us know the findings. Then if it seems like a "lock" that the card is a 9, I'd say that slab value, if there are two whales who collect those slabs and want this card in that slab, the card in an Ebay auction would have a hard time surpassing the value of the card in a PSA 9 slab.

You are correct.