Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC Vault vs PWCC Auction BIG price difference for the same '59 Mantle...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a 1959 Mickey Mantle #10 PSA-8 PWCC-E ending tonight w/current bid of $7100! I had an interest in this card and saw it in the PWCC Vault very recently w/asking price of $4500 and made an offer of $4000. The owner countered w/$4250...but reluctantly declined. Now...I regret not pulling the trigger. I missed badly on this one.

So my question is...

Does the price difference between the auction and vault indicate the vault idea by PWCC hasn't worked out as planned and collectors don't visit the site to look for cards and collectors should not consider using the vault for liquidating their collection/cards???

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte - might be the vault has less exposure hence the lower price, but also It could be getting helped out price wise by some friends. History on that card shows average sale at $4400 with a high of $6400 with a recent sale, so I am thinking that this one might be back up for sale soon 😉 Hope you are doing well and live to fight another day.

KC

Had to pass on the 56 Mantle 8.5 which I saw at the National last year which ended this evening. Price was decent at $16,500 but already have a pair of them and market is crazy now so I held off.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2020 8:09PM

Unbelievable. It sold for twice for which I could have bought it. $8450!!! Missed opportunity...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did you make that initial offer? I'm sure it had "help" but a lot of cards, especially high end stuff seem to be doubling almost monthly. Sometimes weekly.

• Options

I made the offer two weeks b4 it went to auction...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might go back in the vault

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 3:54PM

deleted

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    I believe the vault idea isn’t being marketed as a selling site as much as a tax haven. I’m not trying to disparage PWCC here. It’s in their literature about the benefits of the vault. Oregon has no sales tax.

Is anyone worried in the least little bit about all the unrest going on in Oregon right now? How about the microscope PWCC is currently under?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 11:20AM

havent bought or sold anything either. the vault thing would scare me w/ several other obvious concerns as well.

the sales tax thing is a brilliant strategy though. technically they are playing by the rules. i dont know the tax implications or protocol of what you are technically supposed to be when they ship them to you.

however, setting up an llc and getting a resale cert has a lot of advantages that exceed supporting pwcc. primarily sales tax and not having your items potentially seized at any time.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2020 4:59PM

@brad31 said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

@Frozencaribou said:
    How about the microscope PWCC is currently under?

Have not bought from PWCC since the issues from a couple years ago. It seems that the hobby as a whole does not share these concerns as they have continued to thrive.

Agreed. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on anything above mid grade these days— too concerned they've been to the plastic surgeon. I gotta really scrutinize carefully and feel certain the card is natural. Easier said than done, of course.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

@brad31 said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

@Frozencaribou said:
    How about the microscope PWCC is currently under?

Have not bought from PWCC since the issues from a couple years ago. It seems that the hobby as a whole does not share these concerns as they have continued to thrive.

Agreed. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on anything above mid grade these days— too concerned they've been to the plastic surgeon. I gotta really scrutinize carefully and feel certain the card is natural. Easier said than done, of course.

Good to hear from you Matt and I am in the same boat. I have looked at several nice PSA 8/8.5 cards and literally sit there with my finger on the bid button and don’t pull the trigger. I think gone are the days of me buying a $10-20k card. Rather have PSA 4-6 for 20 cents on the dollar, be safe, and enjoy them just as much. Picked up these two last week and showed them to a fellow
    collector and they said “those are Matty specials.” 😉 Hope you are doing well.

Here are the Matty specials!

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

Great looking 4's.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the vault is a disaster. Unless something has changed, there is still an investigation. And if and when the authorities come back with some huge news there will be no warning. The hobby could change from that day forward. I love the idea of not having to pay sales tax; but I am seriously too scared to have collectibles in that vault. When it's said and done you are trusting them to be completely on the up and up. Even the strongest supporters can not make that claim with all that has gone on.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 10:40AM

@KendallCat said:

Good to hear from you Matt and I am in the same boat. I have looked at several nice PSA 8/8.5 cards and literally sit there with my finger on the bid button and don’t pull the trigger. I think gone are the days of me buying a $10-20k card. Rather have PSA 4-6 for 20 cents on the dollar, be safe, and enjoy them just as much. Picked up these two last week and showed them to a fellow
    collector and they said “those are Matty specials.” 😉 Hope you are doing well.

Here are the Matty specials!

First off, gorgeous cards, bro. Great eye. Cards like that are all enjoyment and zero headache.

On your other point, I could not agree more— though I am okay with a big purchase if the card is still extremely valuable even in low grade. I'd much prefer a 10k card in poor condition than mint condition, as that tells me there is intrinsic value in the card's sheer existence and thus I'm not just "paying for corners."

Instagram: mattyc_collection