Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you shoot pool?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 12, 2020 10:13AM in Sports Talk

I must confess, I love to shoot pool. My pool playing days began in the 90s when I rented a movie called "The color of money" starring Paul Newman and Tom Cruise. I was hooked on pool after watching that movie.

Comments

• Options

I love the Werewolves of London scene in The color of money.

And his hair was perfect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fsAE2jFPqLw

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to shoot a lot, but don't have any billiards halls nearby any longer and my buddy who had a table moved out of state. The Hustler was my favorite pool movie.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 10:36AM

I shot pool quite a few nights, until the wee hours of the morning, from 17-20. Probably the reason I dropped out of college.

I went back to college a few years later and graduated. But the characters I got to know in a pool hall in the 60's was an education in and of itself.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I used to shoot a lot, but don't have any billiards halls nearby any longer and my buddy who had a table moved out of state. The Hustler was my favorite pool movie.

I loved The Hustler as well, Jackie Gleason was great as Minnesota Fats. The Color of Money is actually a kind of sequel to The Hustler, showing what became of "Fast Eddie" Felson years later. Both great movies.

• Options

There's actually a pool hall within walking distance of where I live, and I walk up there and shoot a lot, and drink beer and stumble home. You should see me stumbling home late at night, it's pathetic. I got lost one night.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I loved The Hustler as well, Jackie Gleason was great as Minnesota Fats. The Color of Money is actually a kind of sequel to The Hustler, showing what became of "Fast Eddie" Felson years later. Both great movies.

I just find Tom Cruise annoying and his center tooth pretty creepy ...

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Damn, after seeing that picture, I won't be watching The Color of Money again!😂😂

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Damn, after seeing that picture, I won't be watching The Color of Money again!😂😂

Once you see it, it can't be unseen B)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Once you see it, it can't be unseen B)

😂😂😂😂 I'll be seeing that tooth in my nightmares!

• Options

Of course, my favorite pool movie is "The Ruffler".

• Options
    edited August 12, 2020 12:38PM

The Ruffler. This is what I do all day. There is no helping me, I'm just too far gone.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 1:50PM

I used to shoot pool down Salisbury Beach back in the 80’s, there were tons of tables now I don’t think there is a single one down there anymore. I was never that good but had some fun with it

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

only at joe's spa . problem is it closed down 30 years ago

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple relatives who are great at pool. One uncle, according to stories I heard, used to always win a weekly bar tournament guaranteeing his drinks were free for another week. OT I know, but he has been sober over 30 years.

Anyway, he tried to teach me to play when I was maybe in early high school. I never got very good, but I loved to play and continued doing so maybe once a week until into college. I was never consistent. I was the kind of guy who could make a lot of shots in a row, but next game I would scratch on my break while barely moving a ball.
    I haven't played in probably twenty years.

I don't remember if we discussed this here, but iirc billiards was a game encouraged for youth in the early 20th century, but a propaganda campaign was used to successfully sully the image of the game.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Started playing when i was about 8 years old, made a fairly good living between '75 &'90 hanging out at the honky tonks and discos shooting pool and playing foosball. Just recently joined a wed. night league at the local VFW after a long hiatus.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 4:28PM

i'm really good. been hustling suckas for years. here's what one of my power breaks looks like.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm really good. been hustling suckas for years. here's what one of my power breaks looks like.

That's what I was referring to doing in my previous comment. :p

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

There's actually a pool hall within walking distance of where I live, and I walk up there and shoot a lot, and drink beer and stumble home. You should see me stumbling home late at night, it's pathetic. I got lost one night.

i can't believe i found footage of you at the pool hall performing one of your trick shots

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

i can't believe i found footage of you at the pool hall performing one of your trick shots

😂😂😂😂 And this footage was taken of me leaving the pool hall one night.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Hale taught me how to shoot pool. He was a full-blooded Blackfoot. He always answered his phone with, " Joe's pool hall 8 ball speaking. " I was never any good at it. R.I.P. JOE.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father owned two pool rooms and we had a 4 1/2 x 9 Brunswick slate pool table in our basement.

So yes, i was pretty good at the game.

I placed third in a large pool tournament up at Penn State. To this day i still can't believe i got beat - LOL

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Joe Hale taught me how to shoot pool. He was a full-blooded Blackfoot. He always answered his phone with, " Joe's pool hall 8 ball speaking. " I was never any good at it. R.I.P. JOE.

Sorry for a second there I thought you said Joe Hill

Like we need pool players to unionize , amIright?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 6:46AM

At UGA/Athens in the early 90s there was a bar called Lawreys that did nickel night drinks of gatorade hunch punch. Used to go shoot pool with a couple dorm buddies there in teams for money. Used to do alright probably 8/10 nights and brought home a few bucks.

One of my brothers has a table in his bar room, that's about the only pool I've played in a few years.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do!