Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is PSA tougher on certain issues?

Like 1986 Fleer basketball? I thought this was an easy 9. The top and bottom right have just a tad of white showing. Maybe my old eyes are just not what they used to be. What do you guys think? Is it worth resubmitting?

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly they are very tough on the 86 Fleer. I think your card presents very well but not sure if it meets the 9 standard. You have what appears to be two touched corners which already puts it in the 8 range. Also looks like a mark/light scratch on the top red border between his head and the Fleer logo. You might have a shot at an 8.5 but I don't see it getting a PSA 9 on a resub.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Agreed. I do not see this as a 9.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

As time progresses, yes. Many moons from now certain 2020 topps cards will be tough.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just spoke to 1962 and 1971 and they both said yes.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

1971 Baseball is on a different level. I'm sorry to say; but they seem completely out of touch with this issue. Grades are radically different than 10-20 years ago with these. I used to submit these regularly. Not anymore. Waste of time and money

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    1971 Baseball is on a different level. I'm sorry to say; but they seem completely out of touch with this issue. Grades are radically different than 10-20 years ago with these. I used to submit these regularly. Not anymore. Waste of time and money

Have my first big sub in (39 cards) I’m hoping for 8’s or better. Sent in my best looking ones! Now I’m nervous 😬 😬😬 especially after seeing what the 2 blylevens got in the other thread, I would’ve put those at 9’s easy, if not 10’s!

• Options
    empigtvempigtv Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 3:29PM

I've found that putting a magnifying glass on the corners is usually enlightening for card that look like this and come back below expectations. Usually there is wear that is only visible under a 5x loupe.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 2:08PM

I believe that high profile, expensive cards are scrutinized more critically...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Different ques..
    How about kelloggs cards ?
    Do they allow for some curve in the card ?
    like this... or less ?
    Like this Guidry.

Thx..

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curvature doesn't affect the grade unless they crack/crease/wrinkle when flattened.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, Almost anything with colored borders seems to get brutalized. 1971 and 1975 Topps baseball are the two that come to mind. I'm not surprised 1986 Fleer basketball falls into the same camp. Popular among collectors colored borders equals notoriously tough grading. Keeps everyone chasing that carrot.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I guess seeing cards like this got my hopes up. :D

• Options

Appreciate the feedback guys!

• Options

I don’t think PSA grades cards more harshly than others; I think the 1971/75 and 86bb present more opportunities to present their imperfections than others.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I like your PSA 8 better than the actual PSA 9 you just posted. Is there something with the surface of your PSA 8 that we can’t see in the pictures?

• Options

Not that I could tell. Although, I did turn 50 this year, so my eyes aren’t what they used to be. I honestly thought I had an easy 9 when I sent it in, given some of the 9s I have seen. I knew I’d get hit with the touch of white on each corner on the right side, but this is one of the best centered Mullins I’ve seen. I’ll probably just resubmit with a bulk order later on.

This was a two card order. The other card I sent in was a Panini Optic Shock Luka rookie that looked flawless. It came back a 9. Perhaps the grader of death graded my order. :D

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

mintonlypls Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭August 12, 2020 2:07PM edited August 12, 2020 2:08PM
    I believe that high profile, expensive cards are scrutinized more critically..

+1

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970 Baseball is also tough.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@sayheywyo said:

+1

Why would PSA do this? Why wouldn’t they uphold the same standards to each card regardless of what it is?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:

@sayheywyo said:

+1

Why would PSA do this? Why wouldn’t they uphold the same standards to each card regardless of what it is?

PSA won the grading battle (IMO) mainly because they were a bit tougher graders. A PSA 8 sold for more than an 8 from a different company. This was a very good business strategy. The Set Registry was also a great idea.

Anyone grading their cards to sell is going to try PSA first, maybe a second time (or more) to get the best "bang for their buck". PSA, or any company in a similar situation is certainly NOT going to lower their standards and might even raise them.

Some of the other years that have dark borders seem to get graded tougher simply because corner wear is much easier to see. Any high profile card will automatically draw close inspection/attention. Human nature.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I believe that high profile, expensive cards are scrutinized more critically...

I think that depends on who sends it in. You and I or the big boys.