Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pan-Am Expo SoCalled Dollar Discovery.

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 11, 2020 9:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just purchased in a lot of Pan-Am Expo souvenirs, this carries the cameo prooflike obverse of HK-291, but paired with a never before seen reverse. The reverse depicts a panoramic view of the Buffalo, N.Y. fairgrounds, Pan-American Exposition above and framed by stylized scrolls, 1901 Buffalo below, also framed by stylized scrolls. Plain edge, unlike reeded edge of HK-291.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears unrelated to HK-291, as the obverse was struck from a completely different die.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

'duece, you need to post more often so we can keep track of you. are you retired/reassigned yet?? oh yeah, nice discovery!! :p

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder which vendor produced that piece? Very nice. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the edges carefully. I believe this variety was normally produced with one or two integral loops. I don't think I've ever seen an example that was produced without loops, only with the loops removed afterwards.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    It appears unrelated to HK-291, as the obverse was struck from a completely different die.

After locating my examples of HK-291and comparing, I must agree. I've been inactive with exonumia for a while, so just brushing off the rust on my brain. ;)

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    Check the edges carefully. I believe this variety was normally produced with one or two integral loops. I don't think I've ever seen an example that was produced without loops, only with the loops removed afterwards.

Have you handled this obverse / reverse design before ? I searched high and low for another reported example with no success.

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

Agreed - I've only seen it as the drop of a badge. Here's one from Worth Point:

https://worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pan-american-exposition-1901-buffalo-499745581

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

@jonathanb said:

Have you handled this obverse / reverse design before ? I searched high and low for another reported example with no success.

Yes, they show up from time to time. Rarity is similar to HK-291.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file