Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Luka Doncic craze

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article on Luka Doncic rookie cards.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/luka-doncic-rookie-cards-ebay/

Comments

• Options

This is my favorite Luka rookie, it's got the Zebra stripe pattern. It's asking price is $95,000.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 6:32AM

2018 Panini Contenders Rookie Ticket Gold 9/10

Asking price - $250,000

• Options

2018 Panini Contenders Draft Picks Cracked Ice /23

Asking price - $200,000

• Options

2018 Panini Cintenders Optic Preview

Asking price - $100,000

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Over-rated!

• Options

2018 Panini Prizm Tiger Stripe

Asking price - $49,999

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 11:09AM

🤔 Interesting, I read online where Luka is being compared to Larry Bird. Let's not start comparing him to Larry Legend. He's no Larry Legend!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

'19 prizm base @ $450.

talking 2nd year bass cards.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    🤔 Interesting, I read online where Luka is being compared to Larry Bird. Let's not start comparing him to Larry Legend. He's no Larry Legend!

No one is/was. Finally his cards are reflecting how great he was.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@blurryface said:
    '19 prizm base @ $450.

talking 2nd year bass cards.

It's insane, his stuff is on fire.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@doubledragon said:

No one is/was. Finally his cards are reflecting how great he was.

I'll take a good Larry Bird card any day of the week!

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Doesn't all this OverHyped Fake Scarcity Manufactured Collectible Crap bring back thoughts of Cabbage Patch Kids and Star Trek Plates........$1 plus either of those won't get you a cup of Coffee now! Its going to be a rude awakening when some of these guys wake up to a $200K Card they can't sell for $10!

YeeHah! B):*:s

Neil

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    Over-rated!

Tough to overrate a guy who's 20 and averaging 29/9.5/8.9.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 3:13PM

@doubledragon, if any of those cards are yours, you can be a rich man if you choose to cash out.

@baz518 said:
    Over-rated!

If you're talking about his cards... time will tell. The market is frothy for sure, but I would not be singling him out as overrated if that is the case. If you're talking about him as a player... we will agree to disagree

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Doesn't all this OverHyped Fake Scarcity Manufactured Collectible Crap bring back thoughts of Cabbage Patch Kids and Star Trek Plates........$1 plus either of those won't get you a cup of Coffee now! Its going to be a rude awakening when some of these guys wake up to a $200K Card they can't sell for $10!

Neil

The modern market will always have larger swings up and down versus vintage. The reality is that the great majority of active players will have their cards peak very early in their career. Good young players will see rises in their RC's incongruent with their achievements as they display talent and potential for future greatness. Then as the next crop of rookies and RC's come in potential will have to turn into production in the form of MVP's and/or titles otherwise money will rotate from their cards to the next group of rookies/younger players with potential. Only a handful of generational players will see their prices sustain and only the greatest will see continuous rises of prices post-career. In his brief time playing as a professional in Europe and in the NBA, Luka has displayed generational talent. He has posted better second year numbers at the same age as Lebron. The card market as a whole may be in the midst of an unsustainable bubble. But as long as there is a card market if Luka continues playing like he is now, there is a zero percent chance his cards go to $1 or anything close to that.

We happen to be on the PSA/CU boards now. I submit to PSA and I buy/sell/collect PSA graded cards. What is grading besides manufactured scarcity? They could still be printing Ken Griffey UD RC's in Carlsbad right now for all we know. How much more is a PSA 10 worth versus the same card before it got graded? What is the difference between the card pre-grading and post? Nothing other than manufactured scarcity in the form a TPG label.

@Tabe said:

@baz518 said:
    Over-rated!

We will agree to agree, lol. Anyone who wants to chime in on this discussion needs to watch the Mavs/Bucks game from this past Sat where he basically eviscerates the Bucks and the two time MVP Giannis. How many players in the history of the league would have the vision or the cajones to attempt the pass he makes to seal the game in OT?

Steve
  • Options

Bought his Prizm Rc PSA 9 mid July for $240ish. 9’s are now going for over $630

• Options

@rookiecardfan said:

"Basketball cards are on a completely different level"

And will stay this way thru 2021 at least.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@baz518 said:
    Over-rated!

Numbers are relative to the era, we all know Russell Westbrook is no Oscar Robertson. IMO he won't end up a top 50 all-time player and will come up short trying to lead a team to a title. I'd personally rather have Jokic on my team behind a true #1.

@baz518 said:
    Over-rated!

If you're talking about his cards... time will tell. The market is frothy for sure, but I would not be singling him out as overrated if that is the case. If you're talking about him as a player... we will agree to disagree

If those prices are what his cards go for... then his cards. If people are really comparing him to Bird... then him as a player. Just my opinion, but he will never come close to living up to that kind of hype.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 8:04PM

saw Lulu live back in March (the season was put on ice while the game was still going on) and he reached the bar. kid is a generational talent. his vision and court awareness are ridiculous. 21 years of age and the game comes easy to him. and when you see him play in person he doesn't really look the part prior to the tip; perhaps it was the baggy uni, but it appears as if he could stand to lose a few @ 6'7", 230. then the ball goes up and that notion is quickly put to rest. he's a natural scorer, but he does need to boost his percentage a touch both from the stripe and beyond the arc. i have no doubt it'll happen.

and speaking of vision, i'd love to know what your ROI is right now @slum22

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 7:25PM

I'm just in from Ebay, and I looked at this 2018 Panini Prizm PSA 10 Luka card, and the asking price is $2,174. When I was viewing it, the little red thingy came across the screen and said 988 views within the last hour! That is insane, 988 views within the last hour! Help!!

Luka mania is running wild brother!!

• Options

@blurryface said:

@rookiecardfan said:

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

vintage basketball is crazy right now, dudes from Porto Rico, China and other countries buying big.

• Options

Agreed. I sold one of my Roger Murdock rookies for stupid money.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

» show previous quotes

100% agree.... a completely different level for sure. Wanna bees that haven't proven a thing selling for hundreds of dollars as long as it is Prizm. PSA 9's even doing well and third wheels like Kyle Kuzma selling for decent dollars. A whole genre of very fast stupid money being tossed around. A shout out and thanks to Slum22 for last years deal on a pair of SP Giannis dimes......... suppose I could 10X those dollars if I was an investor.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@slum22 said:

>

@thedutymon11 said:
    Afternoon,

Neil

We happen to be on the PSA/CU boards now. I submit to PSA and I buy/sell/collect PSA graded cards. What is grading besides manufactured scarcity? They could still be printing Ken Griffey UD RC's in Carlsbad right now for all we know. How much more is a PSA 10 worth versus the same card before it got graded? What is the difference between the card pre-grading and post? Nothing other than manufactured scarcity in the form a TPG label.

On this we would agree to disagree. PSA and other TPG's bring added value to an item (Or in rare cases, take away value, like when that Vintage Roberto Clemente, that you had in your mind was a EX-5, comes back as a Confirmed VG-3. They (TPG's) do not dictate the items scarcity or the Markets interest, simply add or detract from said desirability and Monetary value!.

YeeHah!

Neil