Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card Financial Spreadsheets or Software

I'm looking at having a better way to keep track of my card collecting financials. Cards I buy, cards I grade, cards I sell. I'm not running a business. I'm just a collector, but would like to hold myself a little more accountable than I do now.

So do any of ya'll have a good system using either a spreadsheet template (Google Doc) or free or even paid software? And if this has been discussed before, feel free to redirect me.

Just wondering. Any helpful responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

orca scan app.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    orca scan app.

Looking at that one now. Thanks!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 9:58AM

It's great. scans any barcode. make your own fields. ie card name, player, price. export via email, text. and if you have any raw, simply buy some generic barcode stickers off amazon and affix to the cs1 or toploaders.

i use it for the collection and a ton of other stupid stuff, like boxes in the attic. just scan the box and i know what all is in them w/o having to tear them apart each time.

the free version only allows up to 100 items i think, but the $20 / month option allows for 1000+ items. the ease, being able to personalize & just to be able to scan a card and it spit out the price, date and person i bought it from is well worth the $20. plus it's all on your phone and can access or add to it from where ever you like, ie shows.

• Options

The main focus is to just keep track of the financial aspects of my collection. How much I buy a card for, how much I currently have invested in the collection. If I sell a card, how much did I sell it for, and how much did I buy it for. If I graded it, how much did that cost.

It doesn't have to be mobile. A desktop app is fine.

• Options

Nah, definitely not on a public website. Just on a local sheet or a private Google doc.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

For graded cards I just enter all the info on the PSA website and make sure I have public view details turned off. This works for me because I never sell anything since I'm a hoarder and/or too lazy. That way I can see it on my phone as well. I use Beckett to keep track of anything not graded that I care about. Again, more of a checklist than a financial planner. I use spreadsheets all day at work so if I had to use them at home I might have to find a new hobby.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old school. Excel. It’s been fun the past few months making what seems like weekly updates.

Also helps with insurance.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA set registry (APP and website), rest is in EXCEL.

EXCEL docs are saved to google drive for access anywhere. EXCEL is so flexible, it is hard not to use it.

I have tried (on the coin side) desktop software built specifically for what we are talking about here. It was always too restrictive on how it could be accessed and wasn’t very flexible.

• Options

Thanks for all the responses. I think I have enough feedback to go from here.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Old school. Excel. It’s been fun the past few months making what seems like weekly updates.

Also helps with insurance.

Balco,
    If you don’t mind sharing. What insurance do you use and what are the costs?

Thanks,
    John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too