Home Sports Talk
Options

Fun random sports facts

2»

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Padres are now the first team in history to hit five grand slams in six games. Rookie Jake Cronenworth hit one tonight against the Astros.

Steve

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

From 1997 through 2008, Tiger Woods was a combined 126 under par in majors. There are 138 other players who played at least 40 rounds in major championships in that span. Among that group, Woods was a staggering 189 shots better than anyone else. Second on the list: Joe Ogilvie, at 63 over.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    countdouglas- I think you're just used to seeing Brett, Hosmer, Cain, etc. come through in
    the clutch with the game and season and post season glory on the line. You've become jaded.

Possible...but I've been banging the drum on Trout for years. He can't hit a high fastball, and he takes waaay too many called 3rd strikes with runners on, usually for the 3rd out. In fact he's done it twice in this A's series since I last posted. Friday against Soria and today against Wendelken. Soria even had a high fastball in the zone that should have been strike 3 called a ball instead, and then came back with a meatball right down the middle that Trout just watched go by like it was a girl in a bikini.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a guy box an orangutan back in the 80's . He punched it about 20 times and it just looked at him. After he hit it with a flurry he backed up and it knocked him out cold with one punch. Afterwards he said it cheated because its arms were 5 feet long. He thought he was out of range apparently.

This was in the 1980's near Erwin , Tennessee at some carnival fair thingie

• Options

From the Orange County Register:

Understand, the numbers 9 and 1 in this context are the OPPOSITE OF GOOD. I already knew Trout was an overrated defender, as I don't need the fancy schmancy stats to tell me what my eyes see.

The 1st percentile? Literally, every starting outfielder is likely rated above him. Any SLUG that starts for any team is likely rated above Trout. Let that sink in...

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soooooo......... Countdouglas- Can be safely rule you out as the one that bought the Trout card for 3.9 mil? :*

• Options
    edited August 25, 2020 2:15AM

@Darin said:
    Soooooo......... Countdouglas- Can be safely rule you out as the one that bought the Trout card for 3.9 mil? :*

I once pulled a 2018 Heritage red ink auto #/25 of Mike Trout. I sold that baby so fast...

By the way, you can tally up 2 more plate appearances last night where Mike Trout watched every single pitch in the at bat go by, not offering at a single one, and getting rung up both times with a strike 3 called for the 3rd out of the inning.

I literally don't understand it. I'm sure someone will say he's helping the team by taking pitches or he's somehow adding to his WPA or Win Shares by just standing there, winning someone over to give him another MVP vote.

The first at bat, he actually watched 4 strikes go by, as the ump missed the first strike 3. Didn't hesitate to ring him up on the very next pitch, though.

Second time, he just stood there again with that stupid look on his face for all 3 strikes.

I also need to add, the Angels lost again.

• Options

Yes, it happened again today in Game 1 for the 8th time since August 14th. A CALLED STRIKE THREE for Trout. I won't bother posting the pitches and location graphs, but it was a pitch on the black that was too close for a scrub player to expect to get the favorable call. He was whining about it as they went to commercial break, to no avail, of course. Maddon mercifully benched Trout for Game 2.

• Options

Oh man! What was Maddon thinking?! At the last minute, he inserted Trout into the lineup for Game 2 of the doubleheader, batting leadoff. The game is still going on and Trout has 2 MORE CALLED STRIKE 3 at bats to add to his tally. That is 10 at bats ending with him just watching it go by and getting rung up since August 14. Do you know how bad you have to be at baseball to get called out on strikes 10 times in less than 2 weeks?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas, unbelievable. It is just unbelievable how many times he watches it go by, at least have the guts to swing at the ball.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trout batting a poultry .255....

• Options

Lucas Gioliti is the first pitcher to throw a no-hitter after having completed a previous season in their career with a 6.00+ E.R.A. (6.13 in 2018).

Also, growing up in California, one of the coaches for his youth travel team was none other than HOFer Dave Winfield.

• Options

I would like to offer a pre-emptive apology before certain board members call me out for a mistake in my accounting of the results of Mike Trout's strikeouts. I mistakenly said that he's been rung up looking at strike 3 a total of 10 times since August 14th. The actual number is 11, and I apologize profusely for the mistake. I completely and negligently overlooked an at bat against Dustin May on August 16th, yet another trip to the plate where Trout never took his bat off of his shoulder the entire sequence.

The 11 caught looking should be credited to these 10 pitchers. Valdez got him twice, both of those at bats also being ones where Trout never even offered at a single pitch.

Kershaw
    Jensen
    May
    Cueto
    Soria
    Wendelken
    Valdez
    Valdez again
    Javier
    Sneed
    Scrubb

Do you think he's quit on the team? Health issues? Problems with his vision? Is he not getting along with Maddon and the new coaching regime? The new baby keeping him up? Does the ghost of Yordano Ventura keep haunting his dreams?..."Look at the scoreboard, kiiiiid!"

It's funny that the new age stat guys haven't shown up in this thread to do a deep dive on what's going on. I'm still waiting for them to explain how this somehow is actually increasing his value to the team. Perhaps by not swinging, he avoids hitting into as many double plays as Albert does, or some such reasoning. Or how great of a player you have to be to even be given a chance to watch 11 CALLED STRIKE THREES go by you in less than 2 weeks without being benched. This is certainly an epic stretch. All-time stuff that we're witnessing.