Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 topps football wax box

Hey everyone, I would like to know if this box would be a good investment? I'm not sure if that the right word for it but I buy stocks and I'm doing good and I sell kicks and doing really good and wanted to branch out to card collection no I don't want the hot guys zion or lebron. I would really like anyone input and if I do go this route and buy the wax box is there anything I should look for? I see someone selling one on ebay right now for $1,350.00 but it's open is there way that he took out all the good packs with elway or marino in them and just put other 84 packs in there? Thnaks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I’d pay a premium if was was BBCE wrapped (especially if the wrapping said FASC - From A Sealed Case).

Anything that’s not wrapped could be a gamble... unless you absolutely trust the seller

• Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Wow thank-you does it matter if the box has a black X a cross it?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kobefan1 said:
    Hey everyone, I would like to know if this box would be a good investment? I'm not sure if that the right word for it but I buy stocks and I'm doing good and I sell kicks and doing really good and wanted to branch out to card collection no I don't want the hot guys zion or lebron. I would really like anyone input and if I do go this route and buy the wax box is there anything I should look for? I see someone selling one on ebay right now for $1,350.00 but it's open is there way that he took out all the good packs with elway or marino in them and just put other 84 packs in there? Thnaks for any input.

If you're doing good at buying stocks and kicks then stick with investing in that. If you wanna dabble in cards, or more importantly, cards and boxes you don't know much about, start on a much smaller scale and with something your content with whether it gains or loses value. Then perhaps apply your new found card knowledge accordingly.

But to answer your question, most any open box of that magnitude has been cherry picked and/or resealed.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I recall most of the 84 Topps football I bought had the black markings. I believe that meant that they were either returned or unsold from Topps and discounted out to distributors/wholesalers. I remember buying a few $5 boxes from Pacific Trading Cards when they were still relatively new. I don't recall what the packs sold for then, but a .50 pack box would have only been $18.
    Too bad I didn't have adult money at that time (still in HS), although I probably would not have purchased more than a couple anyway.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

If you're doing good at buying stocks and kicks then stick with investing in that. If you wanna dabble in cards, or more importantly, cards and boxes you don't know much about, start on a much smaller scale and with something your content with whether it gains or loses value. Then perhaps apply your new found card knowledge accordingly.

Of course we know nothing about the OP. It could be that $2500 is a very small scale for him. I would say not to do this with money you'll need to eat, but I'd say that about all collectibles.

• Options

Whether he has $2500 in the bank or $25mil, his strategy should be the same of not diving head first into unknown and possibly rocky, shallow waters. Are you saying buying an unwrapped, xout vintage box is a great start?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    Whether he has $2500 in the bank or $25mil, his strategy should be the same of not diving head first into unknown and possibly rocky, shallow waters. Are you saying buying an unwrapped, xout vintage box is a great start?

Not at all. I'm simply saying that $2500 is not necessarily diving headfirst. It's like saying buying Kodak stock a month ago was terribly risky. If you can afford to throw away $25, it is fine to buy a fractional share through Schwab. If your budget is much higher, then you could buy 100 or even 1000 shares.

If someone habitually spends $1350 on lottery tickets weekly, the above box seems to be a fine alternative.

• Options

@daltex said:

@blurryface said:

If someone habitually spends $1350 on lottery tickets weekly, the above box seems to be a fine alternative.

OP, you know what. Throw caution to the wind. Buy everything he's got.

I do alright for myself and can afford to toss $1350 out the window. I dont though.

But go for it. The lottery tickets will most likely prove to be a better investment though since we are just burning money.

Or you and daltex can go in on that box together?

• Options
    edited August 9, 2020 6:10PM

@daltex said:

@blurryface said:

Not at all. I'm simply saying that $2500 is not necessarily diving headfirst. It's like saying buying Kodak stock a month ago was terribly risky. If you can afford to throw away $25, it is fine to buy a fractional share through Schwab. If your budget is much higher, then you could buy 100 or even 1000 shares.

And btw, your metaphor is laughable. Buying stock through Schwab can not even begin to be compared to buying a frankenstein box from a stranger on the internet. Youre basically saying if he can afford to waste money, do it. I do not subscribe to that mentality whatsoever. And DEFINITELY wouldn't prescribe it to someone looking to enter the hobby.

• Options

@kobefan1 said:

Don't buy unopened until you spend some time learning about that sector of the hobby. Otherwise you'll get burned. Don't let Internet strangers tell you if it's a good idea to drop 1350 on a box of cards.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

It’s simple..... buy a bbce 1984 wax box for the best price you can get one. To me a non X out box might command $100-150 more than an X out box. Some say there is no difference so that might be a personal preference. The box will increase in value. The question is how much and how fast. I would think it will be a $2,000 box.... maybe next year......maybe 2 years.... no one knows the tine period. There, we good?

• Options

@VintagemanEd said:
    It’s simple..... buy a bbce 1984 wax box for the best price you can get one. To me a non X out box might command $100-150 more than an X out box. Some say there is no difference so that might be a personal preference. The box will increase in value. The question is how much and how fast. I would think it will be a $2,000 box.... maybe next year......maybe 2 years.... no one knows the tine period. There, we good?

Sometimes the best price out there right now isn't a good price. How many times have you seen an item on Ebay where all of the active items are much higher than the recently sold items.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Not being a smart a$$, but how ever you buy your stocks and kicks??? use that same mentality to buy a box of '84 Topps FB or any card purchase.

Rob