Home Precious Metals

Mark Hulbert thinks that gold is a foolish place to put your money now.

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Hulbert has been a financial writer and stock guy for several decades. If gold is such a foolish place, what about the stock market? Isn't it a wee bit overvalued and vulnerable to a serious pullback? The story never ends......

https://marketwatch.com/story/gold-is-a-foolish-place-to-put-your-money-right-now-if-you-check-the-facts-2020-08-07

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 7:56AM

When weighing value of one's opinion, best to look at who is paying him for that opinion and why he might be selling that opinion. Why I prefer that my news comes from Bulgaria. LOL

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any place is a foolish place to put ALL your money.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    When weighing value of one's opinion, best to look at who is paying him for that opinion and why he might be selling that opinion. Why I prefer that my news comes from Bulgaria. LOL

Ah yes, the good ole Putin news network. Seriously, turn off the zero hedge for one month, trust me I've been there. Your mind will become clear. Reality is such a wonderful place to be.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

CNBC reality is not real. Wake up, you're dreaming. Rgds.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

he missed out on the investment, so now he down plays it

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

edited August 8, 2020 3:52PM

Was he foolish enough to say gold was a foolish place to have your money?

His employer, Marketwatch, makes it's money (ad revenue) kneeling to the whims of those who sell the anti-gold story in order to protect their stock commission revenue.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy it and sell it often ( for money, of all things) ,in spite of what anyone says or thinks. Suits me fine.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I buy it and sell it often ( for money, of all things) ,in spite of what anyone says or thinks. Suits me fine.

Blitzburgh, blitzdude lol, go Stillers, what's your location? Love the stained glass!!!!

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much physical gold like AGEs is changing hands at current pricing?

Millennials Flock to Gold and Cryptocurrencies Amid Economic Uncertainty
    https://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/news/gold-and-cryptocurrency-gain-popularity-amid-covid-19/

Maybe these kids can take us up to the levels of bitcoin? Take that Hulbert! lol

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 6:59AM

Any place is a foolish place to put ALL your money.

Regarding investing in precious metals, that may be what I do, but that's not what the article said.

I contend that you CAN put ALL of your money into metals, and your risk level CAN be diversified over time if you do it consistently - both on the way in, and on the way out.

Another perspective is that you don't get the significant gains if you don't go all in - i.e., if you are "properly diversified among asset classes". These days, the whole structure is a mirage and even diversification is a potential trainwreck.

Lastly, going all in on physical metals is still much less risky than buying anything on margin or buying an 2X or 3X ETF.

Everything is relative, and physical metals aren't that risky especially compared to what else is available in financial wonderland.

I'd much rather have a physical asset that I can get my hands on when the markets go awry (and they always do).

In this environment of uncontrolled money creation and uncontrolled spending, one's overriding investment principle should always be "The Fed is NOT your friend".

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Blitzburgh, blitzdude lol, go Stillers, what's your location? Love the stained glass!!!!

Nebraska. My wife can make one for ya.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOW may be correct. You should have already bought your gold.