Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Quick Rip - 1990 Fleer Update Set

Since the wrap had cracked and I couldn't make even the whopping $3-5 I might get on eBay for a sealed set, I took the plunge.

Talk some sense into me and out of submitting any of these ...

9s with a chance at 10 are probably worth the gamble on these two. Yes, there's a tiny fisheye on the right border of the Frank and a larger one to the right of Murph's head. The rest is just scanner dust.

Absolutely must hit 10s on these to be worth it.

Everything else that could potentially be worthwhile was too far OC, either to the top or the left.

Comments

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Sub the Frank !

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 12:29PM

This is funny...I saw this post and thought "I've got one of those laying around here somewhere"...I found it (fully sealed) and ripped away. NO FRANK THOMAS. I did get DOUBLES on Carter, Smith, Murphy, Schilling, and a bunch of others. So weird...has anyone else had this happen? (No Parker either...)

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@azvike said:
    This is funny...I saw this post and thought "I've got one of those laying around here somewhere"...I found it (fully sealed) and ripped away. NO FRANK THOMAS. I did get DOUBLES on Carter, Smith, Murphy, Schilling, and a bunch of others. So weird...has anyone else had this happen? (No Parker either...)

I had the same thing happen recently. Exact same correlation.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 12:34PM

@Horse You're not helping talk me out of this

@azvike This is the first one I've ripped, so no idea if that's common or not. I do see a bunch of wrong backs on COMC, so you may want to check if the front/back align.

• Might, might be a print dot on the red outline on Frank? I'd submit anyway.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Carter and Parker look like the best shot at 10.

At $9 or $10 a pop these days its definitely an eccentric pursuit though.

Might be better spots to apply those hobby dollars

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

@saucywombat said:
    Carter and Parker look like the best shot at 10.

At $9 or $10 a pop these days its definitely an eccentric pursuit though.

Might be better spots to apply those hobby dollars

Thanks for talking me out of Lee Smith at least. At what rate would you take a gamble on these?

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Since the wrap had cracked and I couldn't make even the whopping $3-5 I might get on eBay for a sealed set, I took the plunge.

Talk some sense into me and out of submitting any of these ...

9s with a chance at 10 are probably worth the gamble on these two. Yes, there's a tiny fisheye on the right border of the Frank and a larger one to the right of Murph's head. The rest is just scanner dust.

Absolutely must hit 10s on these to be worth it.

Everything else that could potentially be worthwhile was too far OC, either to the top or the left.

T/B centering on both the Thomas and Murphy has them getting 9's at best? The space over the blue line just above Fleer '90 at the top is a decent amount more than the space below the lower left corner of the "parallelogram" that contains thhe player's position...my 2 cents anyways

• stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

How is the Nolan Ryan? Thought the Frank Thomas and Ryan were the two value cards i the set.

@stevebay said:
    How is the Nolan Ryan? Thought the Frank Thomas and Ryan were the two value cards i the set.

Nolan is 30/70 L/R. That would have been my thought also, but the Murphy actually sold for higher than the Thomas recently in 10. Nolan in a dime was ~$20?

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevebay said:

Nolan is 30/70 L/R. That would have been my thought also, but the Murphy actually sold for higher than the Thomas recently in 10. Nolan in a dime was ~$20?

The Registry is strong with the Murph.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fisheye on Thomas and Smith likely land them in a 9. Murphy is 60/40 L/R, so likely a 9. Parker centering L/R is 45/55 and on the edge of being a 10. Same for Carter, but 55/45 T/B.

Personally, I wouldn’t sub any with the exception of Thomas if you are a fan and good with a PSA 9.

Thanks for sharing the rip!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit Frank!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t see any reason to sub any card other than Frank unless you’re building the set for fun. Although I did see a Murphy sold for $90 recently (pop 24).

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Fisheye on Thomas and Smith likely land them in a 9. Murphy is 60/40 L/R, so likely a 9. Parker centering L/R is 45/55 and on the edge of being a 10. Same for Carter, but 55/45 T/B.

Personally, I wouldn’t sub any with the exception of Thomas if you are a fan and good with a PSA 9.

Have you even subbed your masses yet ?

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

John Olerud was also a key card in this set. The Thomas looks promising.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@azvike said:

I had the same thing happen recently. Exact same correlation.

It makes me think if those sets were truly factory sealed.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

@DeutscherGeist said:
    John Olerud was also a key card in this set. The Thomas looks promising.

Olerud was in the 30/70 T/B crowd ;)

edited August 7, 2020 6:27PM

@rcmb3220 said:
    I don’t see any reason to sub any card other than Frank unless you’re building the set for fun. Although I did see a Murphy sold for $90 recently (pop 24).

That's what makes me wonder if it's a worthwhile gamble. Could I get $13-15 for a 9 if I miss?

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Thanks for the insight! I could hope for some sliders, but a rough grading day would get me killed. If I hit a good day though ...

Smith is out regardless B)

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Great, now I have to crack some of the case of these that I have. If I keep reading the posts about what I have it's going to lead me to start submitting again after all these years. Kinda fun though will all this time at home.