Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

I love the unusual

I enjoy collecting oddities. The tellers at my bank save unusual things for me. This is the latest find. What do you think happened?

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chemically dry cleaned in the pants or shirt pocket they were in.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    okiegirlokiegirl Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Why isn't all the ink faded?

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Another possibility is somebody worked all the fact but the last printing with a pencil eraser and wore away the note.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

It appears to be tampered with, possible with bleach or some chemical. I see a lot of bleed. It’s made to look like the third printing was good. Maybe someone brushed it on heavy to fade the inks.
    I’m still a learner her but I have seen a lot. Two different Feds as well......seems odd.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 1:26AM

It's real, but too heavily circulated not to have been plucked by someone earlier. Someone definitely messed with it !!! 😖

Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow its been a long time since ive seen one of them. good ole wear and tear there

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

show it to your local ICE office. they will tell u.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

It's real. The bank ran it through their machine. Although I do collect counterfeit currency as well.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 12:16PM

Either treated chemically or erased (post printing) to make people think that it is an error....erased is my opinion.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be chemically treated (either intentionally or by accident). There are two different types of printing and inks. The bulk of the printing is engraved printing and the red and black seals (and numbers) are offset. The chemicals may have reacted differently with the different inks.

Now... @okiegirl ... let's hear about your icon photo. Where did you find that coin? I may have a connection to its creation.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Might be chemically treated (either intentionally or by accident). There are two different types of printing and inks. The bulk of the printing is engraved printing and the red and black seals (and numbers) are offset. The chemicals may have reacted differently with the different inks.

Now... @okiegirl ... let's hear about your icon photo. Where did you find that coin? I may have a connection to its creation.

For fun I go to banks and buy boxes of coins (doesn't everybody?) and then spend the afternoon looking through them. I found that coin while looking through a $1000 box of dollar coins.
    JBK what is your connection to this coin? I think it's cool but I do love the unusual.

• Options

@okiegirl said:

@JBK said:

For fun I go to banks and buy boxes of coins (doesn't everybody?) and then spend the afternoon looking through them. I found that coin while looking through a $1000 box of dollar coins.
    JBK what is your connection to this coin? I think it's cool but I do love the unusual.

Thx for the background. Here's the rest of the story...

Some years ago (10?) Tom Maringer at the Shirepost Mint in Arkansas was using that counterstamp on Sacagewea dollar coins and I asked if I could send him some presidential dollars to be stamped. We agreed on a deal where I sent him a roll of 25 coins of each of the first several presidential dollar coins and he would send me back half of each roll and keep the other half for his troubles.

I'm not sure if I spent any of my JQA dollars, so this is probably one of his. If you live anywhere near Arkansas then that seals it.

So, there are probably only 25 of the JQA dollar you found.

• Options

Oklahoma is close to Arkansas. Don't you think?

• Options

Makes it rare? Maybe worth $5. Could be worth $100 I would still keep it. I love the unusual. Anybody can spend thousands, very few have oddities.

• Options

@okiegirl said:
    Makes it rare? Maybe worth $5. Could be worth $100 I would still keep it. I love the unusual. Anybody can spend thousands, very few have oddities.

I totally agree!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is unusual.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

The BG notes right side "Washington DC" above The Seal has serious variance in darkness.
    That piqued my spidey sense.

Is there any sign of surface abrasion or smell to the note?