Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let me get some opinions on Joe Carter..

I think he gets into the hall. At least in my opinion. What "rookie"card will be his best (most collected and $$$)? The 1984 Donruss or the 1985 Topps Tiffany? Only 18 PSA 10 Tiffany's, set is rarer and it's Topps. 1984 is certainly intriguing though. In fact only 18 regular topps card are PSA 10's. That one could be interesting also. What do you think?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred McGriff would like to have a word with you in a dark alley.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @LarkinCollector.

Really no question it is 84D. Good one to have even if he is not in the HOF.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Joe Carter in terms of statistics is not even close to being a Hall of Fame player. NOT CLOSE.

For example take another 1984 Donruss Rated Rookie, Tony Fernandez, who has good career WAR of 45.3 which is more than double that of Joe Carter at 19.6

Even the much maligned Harold Baines squashes Joe with a 38.7

I like Joe, like his WS winning HR and love is 1984 Donruss Card (probably my favorite card in my collection when I was a kid) but there are at least 100 guys ahead of him in line at Cooperstown

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a huge Jim RIce Fan. Liked him since he got the league. Growing up he was my favorite player. I reviewed his stats against Joe Carter's. There is not much of a difference. Rice was probably a little better overall, but it's not a huge difference. I think there is a chance. Mcgriff should be in, by the way.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 8:58AM

There was a recent discussion in ST regarding him: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039173/joe-carter-does-he-eventually-get-into-the-mlb-hof/

ETA: and the 85T & 85TT are second year cards, low pops are not surprising as demand for 2nd year cards of low-tier HOFers, even if he does slide in, is virtually non-existent.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    I am a huge Jim RIce Fan. Liked him since he got the league. Growing up he was my favorite player. I reviewed his stats against Joe Carter's. There is not much of a difference. Rice was probably a little better overall, but it's not a huge difference. I think there is a chance. Mcgriff should be in, by the way.

It boggles the mind to say that there is not much difference between Carter and Rice. Carter doesn't compare favorably with those who are generally considered mistakes. The only way he gets in is if Baines is considered the standard of a HoFer someday and while they are trying to induct everyone who is almost as good as Baines they make a mistake the size of inducting Baines now.

BTW, no possible excuse for including a second year card as his rookie.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Jim Rice was a MVP and has a career WAR of 47.7

I was a big fan of Joe Carter because when I was a kid they's always print the league leaders in HR's, RBI, AVG and Steals under the daily standings and the name Joe Carter took up a lot of space in the late 80's, early 90's.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

There is quite a bit of difference between Joe Carter and Jim Rice. Namely, Rice finished in the top 5 in the MVP race 6 times and had a career batting average of .298. Joe Carter finished in the top 5 in the MVP race 2 times and had a career average of .259. Carter was good player but the guy only hit above .273 once in his career which in my opinion definitely does not cut it for the Hall of Fame. A guy that is more comparable to Jim Rice that should be in the Hall of Fame is Dave Parker.

• Options

The 1984 Donruss is just a beautiful card and people will always pay for the PSA 10, it's safe.
    Whether he gets in or not depends on if the moment only 2 or 3 other people in history have had gives him extra weight above what otherwise would be a clear 'not quite'.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Kirk Gibson over Joe Carter. 🤟

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    Kirk Gibson over Joe Carter. 🤟

Not even close.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

In Kirk’s favor of course.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 4:15PM

Big fan of Joe, but no chance at the HOF.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15