Home Sports Talk
Options

Weird sports

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some weird sports you may or may not know about.

Comments

• Options

This has to be the most bizarre sport I've seen. It's called extreme ironing, and the idea is to iron clothes in extreme conditions.

• Options

This sports is called cheese rolling. A big block of cheese is rolled down a hill, and you have to keep up with it and not let it pass you.

• Options

This is called shin kicking, and the object is to kick your opponent in the shins and the first person to hit the ground loses.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the cheese rolling was a yearly story on ESPN as far back as the Dan Patrick/Keith Olbermann days, or maybe it was the Kenny Mayne/Stewart Scott days.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I think the cheese rolling was a yearly story on ESPN as far back as the Dan Patrick/Keith Olbermann days, or maybe it was the Kenny Mayne/Stewart Scott days.

I seem to recall seeing it on ESPN also. 😂

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@countdouglas said:

I seem to recall seeing it on ESPN also. 😂

I remember staying up late at night in the early days of ESPN and watching roller derby, lumberjack competitions, strongman competitions, little go-carts with big wing looking things on them going around a tiny, tiny circular dirt track, all kinds of crazy stuff... man, early ESPN and weird sports definitely went hand in hand. I think the "popularity" of curling and hot dog eating competitions definitely owe a big thank you to the wee morning hours of filler sports programming of the 80s.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the cheese and the shins...but i can't comprehend the ironing at all. 🤔

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This is called shin kicking, and the object is to kick your opponent in the shins and the first person to hit the ground loses.

OUCH! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2020 8:08AM

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

OUCH! 😂😂😂😂😂

I win ...

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

OUCH! 😂😂😂😂😂

I win ...

https://youtu.be/-SXbmeFCnTM

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Not so much the sport but the name chosen . American Cornholing Championship. You can catch it on espn.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

OUCH! 😂😂😂😂😂

I win ...

https://youtu.be/-SXbmeFCnTM

The spikes look better on a lady...i'm not sure why.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the "Cheese Rolling". Wisconsin had quite a dynasty.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pumpkin Chuckin,

And

Red Bull Flugtag

Been gone for 6 years and forgot how to attach gifs and pics. If I remember correctly, I used photobucket.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's like almost any activity can be classified as a sport? It's a stretch.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pot hole diving.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

In grade school PE we used to call that soccer, the PE teacher would throw down a soccer ball and
    shins got kicked a lot more than the ball did.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

In grade school PE we used to call that soccer, the PE teacher would throw down a soccer ball and

Hence the reason we called it “Kill Soccer” in Elementary School 😂😂😂. ( True Story )

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

all 4 of those names are people who suck

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

Hence the reason we called it “Kill Soccer” in Elementary School 😂😂😂. ( True Story )

did you play crab soccer in school?