Home Q & A Forum

Has this holder been tampered with? (1908 Indian half eagle)

stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Hello, everyone.

I picked up this 1908 Indian half eagle on auction and noticed the holder edges seemed a bit strange. Most of the coins I have are slabbed in newer generation holders and I could not definitively conclude what generation this one was. Anyway, what do you all think?

Thanks!

-Sean

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that's a super glue trail, that would be bad. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

That is what I am sort of wondering. The cert # checks out but I don’t know. I always worry about counterfeits....

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fine and if it were mine I would not re-holder.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2020 3:58PM

I'd Just leave the thread here ...

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen this many times. It appears to be part of the factory process of joining two halves of a slab together. Many low dollar coins that I have slabbed have some of this trailing around the edges.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the above.

I believe they are sonically sealed, which I believe means essentially melting the plastic together, so this sort of effect is not out of line.