Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA grading ??

How much does a (oc) on a PSA card hurt its value ?
I purchased a few PSA 8 OC, some are not that bad, well acceptable to me.. some are worst.

I purchased a 1961 Topps # 307 - Mantle slams 2 HR (world series card ) PSA 8 oc..
When I look on the site at auction prices /by grade.. for a PSA 8 the avg is $150 but no oc listing (they should have )
What is the secret formula ? 20$ less.. pretend it's a 7.. Help me out for future buying .. or stay away ?

FYI - I paid $95 with shipping on the card.

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 2:57PM

Generally, a qualifier is a -2, at least in most cases when it comes to the registry.

https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/rules

Some people avoid purchasing cards w/Q's completely. If you find someone willing to buy a card w/Q, it has been my experience that they can sell for a -1.5 grade differential (i.e., a 9Q might sell a little higher than a 7, more like a 7.5, if you're lucky).

It of course depends on how extreme the feature that caused the qualifier is. A tiny subtle dot of a pen or pencil mark gets the (MK) qualifier just like you see if the card has a bunch of scribbling or writing on the card. Same goes for (ST)

Also, not all qualifiers are equal. A 9 (OC) will sell for higher than a 9 (MC).

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Damn.. That hurt's...
    guess i'm not buying any more oc..
    Thx.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:
    Damn.. That hurt's...
    guess i'm not buying any more oc..
    Thx.

A scan of the Mantle card would be nice!!

While it's true any qualifier will lower the grade, all qualifiers are not created equal.

I have sent in cards that got returned to me unholdered with a MC designation, resubmitted and the card came back a straight 8.

I once bought a 9ST card that looked great, cracked it out and it came back an 8. There appeared to be no staining on the card.

Even cards that deserve the OC can have decent eye appeal.

Sounds like you are buying to resell? People tend to avoid cards with qualifiers, so you can get them cheap. You can crack and resubmit and from time to time you will make a nice profit.

If you are buying for your PC, as long as the card is acceptable to you.......it's fine.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set