Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slabaugh's guide to American Centennial Tokens & Medals

Comments

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Arlie's small catalog packed away somewhere in my non-current library. It was useful at the time until Russ Rulau used Slabaugh's listings as well as the Miller, Bolen and other listings to "check" his new compilation which us explained in detail at the beginning of the 1866-1889 section of his "Standard Catalog Of U.S. Tokens". The catalog #'s within that section are now the most commonly used but are not complete as a new die combination will turn up somewhat regularly. Slabaugh also authored some other topical catalogs including one on Christmas tokens. I am sure Cardinal is familiar with the Rulau listings.

Arlie was an experienced and knowledgeable guy - he had a speech impediment which caused some people to brush him off quickly but with a little patience and concentration you could understand the interesting & insightful things he had to pass on from his many years in numismatics.

Size 12 and 14 used in the Slabaugh/Lingg listing are expressed in the archaic 1/16 of an inch system similar to that used in H&K. Size 12 is 19mm and Size 14 is 23mm (22.4) as translated to the millimetre listings in the Rulau catalog.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arlie was totally deaf, which explained how he spoke. He was guessing at the pronunciations.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Arlie was totally deaf, which explained how he spoke. He was guessing at the pronunciations.

Yes, forgot to include that bit as he read lips so well. Phone conversations often turned into marathon events, though, as he used a TTY with an operator in between -- and Arlie liked to talk & talk & talk! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file